Premed 101 Forums

UK med schools: Nottingham or SGHMS??? Help please

Guest QuestionMan23213

Guest QuestionMan23213

Hey guys,

I got into St. Georges and nottingham for 5 year meds. Can anyone offer any advice on which one to choose? I personally liked nottingham far more and was more impressed with the students/campus etc and the fact that u get to graduate twice with 2 degrees within the 5 years. SGHMS was an old campus, and people were not very friendly but it is part of Uni of London which may be more reputable. My intent is to return to Canada when i complete (though i know its difficult). I do know of 2 others that went to Nottingham and were abel to match for residencies at UBC (internal meds).

Would nottingham be the better bet? Guess i want to know which is the *better* school?

Btw, I am a BSc graduate from Canada.

Thanks for your input,

QMan:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ukmedschool

Hey

I might be kinda biased because I got into SGHMS. Anyways - I agree that seeing SGHMS is kind of a shock, especially coming from Canada (I go to Western) - so that was kind of a turn off. It is also in the poorer part of London - which is also isn't a "draw". I guess you have to look at the fact that it isnt a "university" and really isnt the same at Nottingham because it doesn't offer a range of programs - basically SGHMS is the only free standing medical school that pretty much offers medicine and nursing. (Nottingham is more of a Western / UofT)

The rankings, however, show SGHMS as the top ranked medical school in London - and is ranked 10 in the UK out of their 24 med schools(Nottingham is ranked 18). These rankings are according to the Times and are based on teaching style and what not (if the campus was a factor - I am sure it wouldn't be as high up there).

It's a tough situation because you are considering going all the way over - to the best school you can get into, but that school turns out to have the worst campus. I guess you have to look at the fact that there is all of London to explore.

As for the program and getting back --- it's my understanding that although UK grads are lumped into the IMG category, Canada does kind of look at them on an "individual basis" - which could be a good or bad thing. I think the fact that SGHMS is ranked higher would be a good thing - and the school is even changing their name to have University of London in it. I think regardless of where you go in the UK it's gonna be tough and no school is gonna be "Easier" perhaps one may teach you more - and help you with the exams you'll have to take.

Good luck with your decision

Guest QuestionMan23213

ah ok, just wondering if you were the person I met from western on my day.

Anyways, have you decided to go? Tuition at SGHMS is quite a bit more than Nott (10k/year Canadian) for all of years 3,4, and 5. That was something that was also deterring me and im sure living in downtown london would just be hidious.

I wish I could stay in Canada. Anyways if i dont get in this year, im considering redoing the mcat this summer and trying again at the mcat-requiring schools in ontario and maybe US, though i may start there and reapply back home just so ive at leasted started the journey somewhere.

QM

Guest ukmedschool

Hey

Well good luck with your applications here - i agree that it would be the best option.

When you were at your interviews - did you find that there were a lot of Canadians there - because i really wasnt expecting anyone... then at my interview i met 3 others!

Guest QuestionMan23213

Yeah,

there were actually about 4 of us on that day. At nottingham there were none. Will you be attending as of Sept? Did they also ask you to pass some english test as part of a conditional acceptance? I was a bit surprised about this and am going to try to get out of it if i choose SGHMS- We are from Canada!

Guest ukmedschool

It's really funny because I was thinking about the same thing and wondering if the letter was just a general one sent to all students - not taking into account their country.

I haven't decided about going over or not for September - It's a huge investment ... and I would like to make sure I exhaust the possibilities here frist i think. Do you know if it's possible to defer your exceptance?

Guest QuestionMan23213

Haha, yes i am an ezboard addict...

Yes you can defer your acceptance quite easily provided you finish your conditional requirements (if your in your 4th year you gotta graduate) etc. I know this because my cousin got into SGHMS last year also and deferred quite easily (though she had only done a year of uni at that point). The class sizes are so huge (200+) that im sure its not a big deal. Are you in your 4th year? Did you get in anywhere else in the uk?

Guest ukmedschool

Hey

Yeah i am just finishing first year too (yeah i guess i'm a youngin) - did u know how she went about defering it (did she email them or what?). Is your cousin going next year?

About other schools - I never thought about england as an option - so I applied to random schools (SGHMS, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham) - I never really looked at rankings or anything, which isn't good. SGHMS had their interview on the firm date, while I had all the others on my slack week. So I heard about St. Georges before I went for the others, so I didnt even bother making a second trip (which saved me a lot of $$).

Where else did you apply?

• 8 years later...
Hey

Yeah i am just finishing first year too (yeah i guess i'm a youngin) - did u know how she went about defering it (did she email them or what?). Is your cousin going next year?

About other schools - I never thought about england as an option - so I applied to random schools (SGHMS, Leeds, Sheffield, Birmingham) - I never really looked at rankings or anything, which isn't good. SGHMS had their interview on the firm date, while I had all the others on my slack week. So I heard about St. Georges before I went for the others, so I didnt even bother making a second trip (which saved me a lot of $$).

Where else did you apply?

Hey - I've just received an acceptance to a few of the UK schools mentioned in this thread as well - I was just wondering where you ended up going?

Hey - I've just received an acceptance to a few of the UK schools mentioned in this thread as well - I was just wondering where you ended up going?

You do realize this thread was posted in 2005 right? You probably won't get a response.

Also, don't necro old threads, if you have a question start a new one. If a thread is older than 2 years don't touch it, its almost useless.

For one thing, St. Georges, which i guess in 2005 was rated "top in London" is now considered "worst in London" and one of the lowest ranked medical schools in the UK. If you don't believe me you can look up the rankings in medicine on Guardian, The Times or Complete Uni Guide.

See how things change?

Archived