Premed 101 Forums

How many 'ethical' questions to expect?

Hey guys,

I've got my interview in 2 days and am feeling pretty good. I know honesty is the best policy, and I've thought about some of the more common questions just to make sure I don't hit any moments of panicked silence when they ask me a question :) .

What I'm most nervous about is the 'ethical' type of questions. I know that you just have to intelligently and honestly discuss the question, but these types of questions can be the 'messiest' in my opinion. Some of them are downright hard to answer.

For people who have had interviews (or know those who have) at U of O, how many of those ethics-type questions did they ask?

I had a few ethical scenarios in my interview. You have to realize these interviews are dynamic and not completely static (i.e. interviewers only ask questions on the sheet in front of them). I had one specific ethical question asked to me, I answered it, and based on my answer they changed the scenario and asked me what I would do in this situation. As an example of what I mean by dynamic, somewhere in my interview I brought up the point of a "doctor lottery" they had in southern Nova Scotia a few years ago, and the doc formulated his own scenario based on this and asked me what I would do if....blah blah blah.

The point is that it's very difficult to have a rehearsed answer to every "ethical" scenario, as it just won't happen. Some of the ethical questions are a matter of opinion to some extent, and just because you have a different approach to a situation doesn't mean it's incorrect. I think you should have a basic understanding of the laws that govern how medicine is practiced, but realize that these laws and rules will NOT dictate our course of action for every scenario we are presented with in a real life situation (i.e. believe it or not, there are gray areas in medicine). When all else fails and you don't know the proper course of action, just tell them you aren't sure and you would consult a fellow colleague or present the case to the ethics board at the hospital for their opinion (that is why they are there after all) :D

The biggest thing is to try and remain calm. Realize you can take 15 seconds to think about your answer before you say anything. This is not considered an awkward silence, though that is what your brain will probably tell you. Also this is only one mans opinion and I'm sure other people will tell you something different. Have fun with it :)

Thanks for your input!

I'm feeling pretty good about the interview at this point. I know you can't anticipate every ethical scenario...I'm just going to speak honestly and try to lay out my thought process logically.

I guess I'll just try not to worry about it too much. It's an interview, not an oral philosophy exam, heh. I'm looking forward to it, really, because I've worked so hard to get to this point and feel so close to (hopefully!!) attaining my goal.

Hey I just have a quick add-on to what Jay-P said...in a situation like he mentioned, stay true to your first answer. I think they probably want to make sure your stance is firm with making different scenarios. And though there may never be a true and real answer, you should go for the answer that is morally right!

although I understand what Tri-girl is saying, I can tell you horror stories from people who stayed true to their first answer despite variations in the scenerio. Rather than saying stay true to your first answer, I would say stay true to your principle behind the answer, but be willing to vary the answer as long as it does not compromise the principle at hand and that it is relevant and logical to the change that the interviewers may put forth. so keep the stance, not necessarily the answer

I think you guys are right, particularly about staying true to your underlying principles. If you start flip-flopping ethically, they could get a sense that you're trying to please them and not that you're answering honestly and thinking critically.

I talked to a friend yesterday who told me a 'horror' story about an acquaintance of ours who adamantly maintained the same exact answer even as the interviewers said "what if..." and kept changing the scenario.

I also know of someone who was later told that he was rejected because his answer to a question late in the interview directly contradicted his opinion earlier on in the interview.

I'm really sticking with an 'honesty is the best policy' mentality about my entire interview. I will not make anything up or try to please them. I'm just going to be myself and answer ethics questions honestly.

I think I had one. Just be prepared if/when they start to 'challenge' your answer to recognize the other size but don't start flip flopping back and forth because you feel that they're challenging you because you gave the 'wrong' answer. Sometimes it's not right/wrong or black/white situation but give the impression you understand both sides and pick one and stick to your guns!

Archived