Premed 101 Forums

No interview? Why not?

FoxL2099

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this, but not too surprised I guess...My GPA is horribly low even though I did very well my last year and graduated from a demanding program. I guess my extremely high MCAT wasn't enough to assuage their fears that I would be a mediocre medical student. That's unfortunate because I really want to give Montreal a chance to practice medicine in, but if I'm forced to go to the US I don't know if it will be financially feasible for me to return. I really want to know what I would have to do between now and next year for McGill (specifically) to overlook my dismal GPA...

Take more courses, start a Masters degree, it will take you 2 years but definitely change your chances of getting in at least in Ontario if not at McGill because I don't know how McGill considers grad students' GPAs. The caveat is that you would have to do really well in the few courses that you do take. It may not be a waste of time, if you do well. You can also ask for advice from the premed committee at McGill or whatever school you went to. I don't know how you would get in touch with them because I only saw them during the presentation that they did in the fall, but perhaps if you get in touch with admin they can direct you.

Good Luck

Yeah, I'm pretty upset about this, but not too surprised I guess...My GPA is horribly low even though I did very well my last year and graduated from a demanding program. I guess my extremely high MCAT wasn't enough to assuage their fears that I would be a mediocre medical student. That's unfortunate because I really want to give Montreal a chance to practice medicine in, but if I'm forced to go to the US I don't know if it will be financially feasible for me to return. I really want to know what I would have to do between now and next year for McGill (specifically) to overlook my dismal GPA...

hey vihsadas you should definitely schedule an appointment with Mr. Dansereau to discuss what went wrong in your application.

Unfortunately, from past experience, McGill has a hard time overlooking Undergrad GPA. My friend was rejected twice even though she got a 4.0 in her master's. When she met with the admissions officer, he told her she should do another undergraduate degree! (which she obviously scoffed at!) ... This is only one example so I definitely suggest you go meet them individually and see what they say, especially if you are serious about attending mcgill.

hey vihsadas you should definitely schedule an appointment with Mr. Dansereau to discuss what went wrong in your application.

Unfortunately, from past experience, McGill has a hard time overlooking Undergrad GPA. My friend was rejected twice even though she got a 4.0 in her master's. When she met with the admissions officer, he told her she should do another undergraduate degree! (which she obviously scoffed at!) ... This is only one example so I definitely suggest you go meet them individually and see what they say, especially if you are serious about attending mcgill.

Make the appointment with Drolet though... Dansereau seems nice but when he gets stressed like around this time of year, he is a complete tool it seems. He's been nice to me in the past though, so if you can stand the wait, contact him post may.

This is just not true. I got in with an MCAT way below 37 (mine was 33) and my GPA was just above their cutoffs. It is do-able and not a waste at all to apply.

I'm with you on that. Got 33 R, (12, 12, 9 VR) got an interview last year. So it is doable without strict 10s. besides the official VR average from McGill was 9.9, indicating there were people with less than 10.

I'm with you on that. Got 33 R, (12, 12, 9 VR) got an interview last year. So it is doable without strict 10s. besides the official VR average from McGill was 9.9, indicating there were people with less than 10.

haha, I got one better. I got an interview last year with a 26N. Obviously I didn't get accepted so I applied again this year. Boosted my gpa to above a 3.9, mcats to 34Q, added surgical research to my resume, and more volunteering.....and I don't think I got an interview for this year! This is madness! haha

Make the appointment with Drolet though... Dansereau seems nice but when he gets stressed like around this time of year, he is a complete tool it seems. He's been nice to me in the past though, so if you can stand the wait, contact him post may.

I definitely will make an appointment. I just want a chance ya kno? I mean I used to be a pretty lazy student during the first part of my science undergrad, but I've had some life changing experiences and that's why I got a 40 on the MCAT. Anyway, I don't refute their decision, I just want to know exactly what I have to do to be considered next year. I am absolutely sure that if I am given the shot I'm going to do well...the question is just who is going to give me that shot...

Anyway, good luck guys on the interviews. I'm more than a little jealous but knock em dead! I don't have a shadow of a doubt that you guys are going to be great doctors. GL.

I definitely will make an appointment. I just want a chance ya kno? I mean I used to be a pretty lazy student during the first part of my science undergrad, but I've had some life changing experiences and that's why I got a 40 on the MCAT. Anyway, I don't refute their decision, I just want to know exactly what I have to do to be considered next year. I am absolutely sure that if I am given the shot I'm going to do well...the question is just who is going to give me that shot...

Anyway, good luck guys on the interviews. I'm more than a little jealous but knock em dead! I don't have a shadow of a doubt that you guys are going to be great doctors. GL.

FYI, that is the exact thing I said to Dansereau last year. "I am not here to argue your decision, I respect the committee's choice. I just want to know how to improve my chances next year." His reply, "What makes you think you'll get an interview next year?"

Best of luck to you. A 40 on the MCAT is an unbelievable accomplishment and McGill should be ashamed of itself for refusing you even an interview.

Cheers

FYI, that is the exact thing I said to Dansereau last year. "I am not here to argue your decision, I respect the committee's choice. I just want to know how to improve my chances next year." His reply, "What makes you think you'll get an interview next year?"

Best of luck to you. A 40 on the MCAT is an unbelievable accomplishment and McGill should be ashamed of itself for refusing you even an interview.

Cheers

Okay, duly noted. I guess I should probably wait until after interview season is over to make an appointment then, right?

Is your cGPA under 3.5? If it is...I don't think a high MCAT will offset that. That 3.5 is like an unofficial cut-off for McGill.

It is, however in the past students have been accepted with cGPAs lower than 3.5. Plus, I have a documented life-changing experience and a 3.8 in all hard science courses in my last year. Even though I am very familiar with the dedication required in medical school, and 100% confident that I will do well, I understand that McGill may not be convinced of my academic ability. Even though I'm completely changed, there's no one else there to blame but me. You pay for your immaturity when you were younger, and you've got to accept that. But, I'm not going to stop pressing forward. I'm going to pursue this career one way or another...I will make it happen. Be it going overseas, going to the US (I'm a US perm resident, but really, montreal has become my true home and I really, really want to live here when I'm older). I know I'm capable, just as I'm sure the vast majority of you all are as well and I know that I will excel if given the chance. It's unfortunate that McGill did not deem my improvement in recent years as enough, but that's life. There are a whole bunch of qualified applicants and I can't blame McGill. I'll see you guys in 5-6 years when we're all colleagues. :P

It is, however in the past students have been accepted with cGPAs lower than 3.5. Plus, I have a documented life-changing experience and a 3.8 in all hard science courses in my last year. Even though I am very familiar with the dedication required in medical school, and 100% confident that I will do well, I understand that McGill may not be convinced of my academic ability. Even though I'm completely changed, there's no one else there to blame but me. You pay for your immaturity when you were younger, and you've got to accept that. But, I'm not going to stop pressing forward. I'm going to pursue this career one way or another...I will make it happen. Be it going overseas, going to the US (I'm a US perm resident, but really, montreal has become my true home and I really, really want to live here when I'm older). I know I'm capable, just as I'm sure the vast majority of you all are as well and I know that I will excel if given the chance. It's unfortunate that McGill did not deem my improvement in recent years as enough, but that's life. There are a whole bunch of qualified applicants and I can't blame McGill. I'll see you guys in 5-6 years when we're all colleagues. :P

Vihsadas I have always admired your determination, and I do not agree with the above poster... 3.5 is absolutely not a cutoff for McGill

Did you mention everything you wrote above in your autobio? I think beyond the grades, mcgill puts a lot of value in the autobiographical letter... Pretty much the only thing I changed in my app this year was my letter --> same activities, same experience, same grades but pimped myself out a lot better. Result? Interview vs an outright rejection last year.

Definitely don't give up, and if McGill can't see beyond a sub-3.5 GPA then you need to ask yourself if it's really where you want to be anyway... I am confident that there are plenty of schools in the US who would roll out the red carpet for you.

hey! do you have acceptance in the US already? (just curious)

Vihsadas I have always admired your determination, and I do not agree with the above poster... 3.5 is absolutely not a cutoff for McGill

Did you mention everything you wrote above in your autobio? I think beyond the grades, mcgill puts a lot of value in the autobiographical letter... Pretty much the only thing I changed in my app this year was my letter --> same activities, same experience, same grades but pimped myself out a lot better. Result? Interview vs an outright rejection last year.

Definitely don't give up, and if McGill can't see beyond a sub-3.5 GPA then you need to ask yourself if it's really where you want to be anyway... I am confident that there are plenty of schools in the US who would roll out the red carpet for you.

I did mention all of that stuff in my autobio. I'm a alright writer as well when I'm writing formally (S on the MCAT even though that doesn't necessarily mean anything). I will definitely go and see the admissions office when they aren't so busy to get some feedback and then re-adjust accordingly.

To the above poster, no I don't have US acceptances but my US apps were sent out waaaaaaay too late for me to be seriously considered. This was because my MCAT was taken in September (scores received Oct 15th). My original plan was to take the MCAT, then do an SMP program, and have 2009 as my first app year.

When I realized that I was going to reach my goal on the MCAT I rushed (admittedly) my US app out. I've been accepted to two SMP programs, Georgetown and Cincinnati and I'm going to go to one of them...you can be sure that I'm not taking any prisoners when I'm there. I'm shooting straight for a 4.0, no questions asked, in every course in the curriculum, whether medical school year 1 or not.

One of my current mantras is: The things that you did in the past and the failures you've had cannot be changed and will always be a part of who you are. Therefore, own those experiences and don't make excuses. They are a part of who you are (and you like yourself, right!? ;p) Right now, in this moment, there are only a certain number of things that you have control over and can change. You must do everything humanly possible to ensure those factors are taken care of to the greatest possible extent...because at the end of the day, the things that are out of your control will always be out of your power; someone else will ultimately be making the decision for you.

So the SMP is the best way for me to prove to Adcoms (even though I'm already confident of it myself) that I can hang with the rest of the 3.9 students out there.

For the rest of you that didn't reach your goal this year just know that there really is ALWAYS a way. There is something you can do to reach your goal, you just need to find out what it is, and never be willing to let up until you've gotten it. Go overseas, go DO, do another Ugrad, take some time off and come back, whatever. It can be done.

I still can't believe how far I've come...Most students in my position (switched majors after a few years to science, after my second year in science I'm rocking way below a 3.5) would have probably just decided that medical school was not attainable for them. Yet I decided that I was going to become a medical practitioner no matter what it took. Here I am now, so close to realizing the first part of my ambition, and you can be damned sure that I'm not giving up anytime soon!

If I get this done, I want to be that inspirational story for all you other sub-3.5 GPAers that this is possible as long as you are realistic about what you are capable of and what you will have to endure to make it happen. Keep your heads up guys, if you are really determined to follow this path, then, as ghetto-Nike would say, "Just F-ing Do it."

:P

I'm rooting for you vihsadas.

Not to rain on your parade, but my friend who had a 3.0 undergrad did an SMP, got a 3.9 and was still rejected by McGill. When he met with Dansereau, he was told that they don't consider any graduate grades as much as undergrad. He tried to explain that SMP is not like a research masters with 2-3 courses a semester, but they didn't seem to understand or care.... Unfortunately, the SMP route seems to work well for US schools but not as recognized in Canada.

In all honesty, I think you should have a good shot at McGill with or without the SMP, you sometimes just need a little luck in the process. I honestly believe that one person reading your app who is having a bad day can screw you over... this whole process is completely wacko.

It is not an official cut-off...that is why I said 'unofficial'. Meaning they will still look at you but it is less likely you will get an interview. As long as you outline reasons in your autobiography or send them a letter you can circumvent that.

However, many people with GPAs under that have been asked to do a second undergrad.

It is always best to contact the school and get the info directly from them on a particular situation.

I did mention all of that stuff in my autobio. I'm a alright writer as well when I'm writing formally (S on the MCAT even though that doesn't necessarily mean anything). I will definitely go and see the admissions office when they aren't so busy to get some feedback and then re-adjust accordingly.

To the above poster, no I don't have US acceptances but my US apps were sent out waaaaaaay too late for me to be seriously considered. This was because my MCAT was taken in September (scores received Oct 15th). My original plan was to take the MCAT, then do an SMP program, and have 2009 as my first app year.

When I realized that I was going to reach my goal on the MCAT I rushed (admittedly) my US app out. I've been accepted to two SMP programs, Georgetown and Cincinnati and I'm going to go to one of them...you can be sure that I'm not taking any prisoners when I'm there. I'm shooting straight for a 4.0, no questions asked, in every course in the curriculum, whether medical school year 1 or not.

One of my current mantras is: The things that you did in the past and the failures you've had cannot be changed and will always be a part of who you are. Therefore, own those experiences and don't make excuses. They are a part of who you are (and you like yourself, right!? ;p) Right now, in this moment, there are only a certain number of things that you have control over and can change. You must do everything humanly possible to ensure those factors are taken care of to the greatest possible extent...because at the end of the day, the things that are out of your control will always be out of your power; someone else will ultimately be making the decision for you.

So the SMP is the best way for me to prove to Adcoms (even though I'm already confident of it myself) that I can hang with the rest of the 3.9 students out there.

For the rest of you that didn't reach your goal this year just know that there really is ALWAYS a way. There is something you can do to reach your goal, you just need to find out what it is, and never be willing to let up until you've gotten it. Go overseas, go DO, do another Ugrad, take some time off and come back, whatever. It can be done.

I still can't believe how far I've come...Most students in my position (switched majors after a few years to science, after my second year in science I'm rocking way below a 3.5) would have probably just decided that medical school was not attainable for them. Yet I decided that I was going to become a medical practitioner no matter what it took. Here I am now, so close to realizing the first part of my ambition, and you can be damned sure that I'm not giving up anytime soon!

If I get this done, I want to be that inspirational story for all you other sub-3.5 GPAers that this is possible as long as you are realistic about what you are capable of and what you will have to endure to make it happen. Keep your heads up guys, if you are really determined to follow this path, then, as ghetto-Nike would say, "Just F-ing Do it."

:P

your mcat is amazing! ur determination/drive will get you there someday!! good luck

No I was in at Georges Washington U.

Totally right though, don't argue with Dansereau. I didn't think it through, I was pretty devastated.

Wow, that is a very nice University!!

I would go there if I were accepted:D

As for M. Dansereau, seroiusly, you can know even more from a REJECTED applicant than from this $%^&$%:mad:

Wow, that is a very nice University!!

I would go there if I were accepted:D

As for M. Dansereau, seroiusly, you can know even more from a REJECTED applicant than from this $%^&$%:mad:

So right... he's a total politician. when I spoke with him about the reason behind my rejection, it was like trying to pull information out of a prisoner of war. HIs mastery of redirecting questions and circular logic left me in awe.

Guys, I know how it's like to be rejected. I've been there myself. But to be fair to Mr. Dansereau, he actually took time to field your questions. He has to be impartial to every applicant. If he talks about specifics to you, he'll have to do it for everybody and that's not his job. If he does that, he won't have time for other tasks. Let's see you try going over 1000 applications over the phone with rejected applicants. Using expletives and making a fuss on this forum will certainly not help your case at all and exhibits an obvious lack of professional attitude, which justifies your rejection in the first place.

Try calling an American medical school, like Yale or Columbia, and you'll find a less welcoming attitude.

Guys, I know how it's like to be rejected. I've been there myself. But to be fair to Mr. Dansereau, he actually took time to field your questions. He has to be impartial to every applicant. If he talks about specifics to you, he'll have to do it for everybody and that's not his job. If he does that, he won't have time for other tasks. Let's see you try going over 1000 applications over the phone with rejected applicants. Using expletives and making a fuss on this forum will certainly not help your case at all and exhibits an obvious lack of professional attitude, which justifies your rejection in the first place.

Try calling an American medical school, like Yale or Columbia, and you'll find a less welcoming attitude.

I tend to agree with the majority of your statement. It's really amazing that McGill even takes the time to sit down and talk with you about your application. Just doing that alone is going above and beyond what they have to do.

About applications: this is competitive, and it sucks to get rejected, but don't put the onus on anyone except yourself. There's always something that you, yourself can do to improve your chances and prove your worth. The moment you let a thought come into your mind that someone else is partially responsible for your own situation is when you give up your power to change. Own your mistakes, own your past trangressions, and then keep on coming back.

About making a fuss on an internet forum: Sometimes people just need to vent. Doing it in a public place probably isn't the best place to do it, but I don't really believe that we can judge who a person is, or their professionalism based on a few posts on a message board. Anyway, good luck to you.

• 4 weeks later...
The moment you let a thought come into your mind that someone else is partially responsible for your own situation is when you give up your power to change. Own your mistakes, own your past trangressions, and then keep on coming back.

This is such A classic statement...

ya I admit it's hard to swallow a rejection, but anyways, I am responsibale for it.

THANKS for what you said, really really reasonable:)

This is such A classic statement...

ya I admit it's hard to swallow a rejection, but anyways, I am responsibale for it.

THANKS for what you said, really really reasonable:)

No problem. I understand how hard it is to stay grounded throughout this process, so I just try and do what I can to help others keep their heads on straight as well. :D

Oh and, btw, CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO WAS ACCEPTED!!! :)

...Hopefully I'll see you all in 2009. ;)

Archived