Premed 101 Forums

No interview? Why not?

FoxL2099

So for all those of you who did not receive an interview this year, let's hear your thoughts on why not, whether or not you will reapply, what you'll do differently?

Myself, no interview anywhere except Queen's. cGPA 3.85, MCAT 33R (12 PS, 12 BS, 9 VR, R WS), 2 Bachelor degrees, research in new malaria treatments, research in the analysis of amniotic fluid for prenatal diagnostics. Volunteered at 2 hospitals for 4 years, worked in a pediatrics clinic for 5 summers. 10 thousand dollars in scholarships, numerous dean's list, graduated with high honours, will be volunteering in Uganda in the summer to help fight the AIDS crisis.

So, what did I do wrong? I argued with McGill last year when I failed the interview. This is my advice for you. If they reject you post interview, let it go. Just walk away. Drolet and Dansereau are miserable petty bastards. Don't give them an excuse.

So, will I reapply? Nope. I am done. To not even get an interview from these people after all this, forget them. We'll see how Queen's goes. If that fails, I'll be studying med in the caribbean. Good luck people.

Thats a shame! it looks you are a very competitive applicant. I would apply to the States if I was you, or even to Australia, you still have time as their school start in Feb.

The Carribean route will only get harder and harder with all american schools increasing their enrollment!

Wow...that's a tad disheartening. I see you have 2 degrees. Is the cGPA you posted the average of both? And before you look at the carib, why not American schools? It seems like you would have a pretty good chance there.

No, that cGPA is for my degree in Molecular Biology. I have applied to American Schools, got accepted to one last year but personal financial issues made that impossible.

I assume you are a Quebec resident. I have one question for you:

Do you know what your mistake was in interview last year? i.e do you think you did an irreversible mistake that lead them to discard your application this year?

My mistakes.... no sorry can't help you. They asked me all questions on my autobiography. There were a few questions I wasn't sure how to answer. Asked me if I felt a radiologist missed something on a particular case I talked about (I said I wasn't in a position to answer that (the hell do I know about x-rays?)). Uh, I was asked questions about older doctors sacrificing their health for their patients vs new doctors who take better care of themselves but work less.

Thats a shame! it looks you are a very competitive applicant. I would apply to the States if I was you, or even to Australia, you still have time as their school start in Feb.

The Carribean route will only get harder and harder with all american schools increasing their enrollment!

I haven't thought much about it. With my gpa, research experience, awards, volunteer experience, I honestly never considered it likely that I would need to look abroad. Furthermore, my girlfriend is here and I can't ask her to leave her home, career, family. But I ain't willing to leave her either.

Caribbean was more of a joke.

buddy I totally understand you, I am married and if I end up moving not only I will graduate drowning in debt, but also the sacrifices required of me and my wife will be a lot. However if thats your passion then it is worth it, try again for the states, i know its expensive but loans are not that hard to get,but at least you are guaranteed a spot either here or in the USA.

FoxL2099, you don't happen to be the Canadian applicant who was accepted to Wayne last cycle (MDapps)? Did you try defering the acceptance? I would figure "I need some time to get the finances in order" would be a good reason for deferral.

Also, there was no point arguing Dansereau. Interview invites and admission decisions are not up to him. I would say give it your best with Queen's - it only takes one. But also consider the US (and more affordable schools than Wayne!!). Also, if considering Caribbean, would it be substantially cheaper than the US? Speaking to my friend who is currently at SGU, it doesn't seem like it is.

wow.. i totally think you deserve an interview. What did Mr. Dansereau say to you last year? .. wow im shocked.

Dansereau refused to answer my questions regarding what went wrong at my interview. He informed me that once the decision is made, the file is destroyed. He asked me several questions as to how I felt my interview went. He answered more of my questions with questions.

But here's why you should never question these people. I asked him, "What can I do to improve for next year, in terms of application and interview?". His response: "What makes you think you'll even get an interview next year? There's no guarantee on that."

So DO NOT SCREW with these people. If you're all young, you can get rejected once or twice. Don't take it personally. Build up your cv in the year and try again.

FoxL2099, you don't happen to be the Canadian applicant who was accepted to Wayne last cycle (MDapps)? Did you try defering the acceptance?

Also, there was no point arguing Dansereau. Interview invites and admission decisions are not up to him. I would say give it your best with Queen's - it only takes one. But also consider the US (and more affordable schools than Wayne!!)

No I was in at Georges Washington U.

Totally right though, don't argue with Dansereau. I didn't think it through, I was pretty devastated.

I really think you deserve it.. i hope you get accepted in Queens. And I do believe Mr. dansereau has a say in your application.. he is on the executive committee afterall... and he handles your application... maybe he has a grudge with you.

Anyway, good luck!

I really think you deserve it.. i hope you get accepted in Queens. And I do believe Mr. dansereau has a say in your application.. he is on the executive committee afterall... and he handles your application... maybe he has a grudge with you.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks, best of luck to you.

I was wondering what you mean by "failed" the interview? How do you know how you did on the interview? Did they specifically tell you? Or are you assuming that you didn't do well on the interview because you didn't get accepted...

In any case, your story is very surprising.

Ps. What are the new malaria meds you were working with? That sounds really cool!

I was wondering what you mean by "failed" the interview? How do you know how you did on the interview? Did they specifically tell you? Or are you assuming that you didn't do well on the interview because you didn't get accepted...

In any case, your story is very surprising.

Ps. What are the new malaria meds you were working with? That sounds really cool!

Well, at my meeting, Dansereau sat me in front of a Bell Curve and asked me where I thought I scored on that curve. I pointed to lower right quadrant and then he said I scored high left quadrant. I asked him if that was for one or two interviews, he asked me what I thought... The rest of that "Who's On First, What's On Second" conversation is history... at least I can laugh at it now.

As for the new malaria meds, whereas many of the quin. drugs target hemozoin synthesis in order to cause toxic heme accumulation within the parasite, the methods we are studying encourage hemozoin formation and then make use of that crystal. Can't say anymore or my supervisor would have me and you killed :eek: !

hey have you considered writing to the university's ombudsman? im sure he will be able to help you out more, and if nothing changes for you, maybe the ad comm might be more fair with the applicants to come.

The university has the right to refuse anyone they want. And also, it is their prerogative not to inform applicants as to the reason of their refusal. Besides, I spoke with my own University's dean at length about this last year and he said it would do no good.

Don't get too hung up on the McGill rejection. Unfortunately, no one knows exactly how admission committees work. I got rejected by all but 2 places I applied. My colleague's brother also got rejected everywhere except at Johns Hopkins. Perhaps Queens will work out.

In any case, you've gotten this far, you've obviously demonstrated academic success and you were interviewed. This is better than the vast majority of candidates who got weeded out pre-interview. This is probably the most difficult academic task you've attempted and you performed decently. I'm sure you'll find success either in medicine or other endeavors.

I was rejected last year from McGill and I called Dansereau and I thought he was very nice. He told me my autobiography was not well written and that my interview was good but that I needed to really distinguish myself from the pack to be accepted next time. Maybe it was just the way I approached him or he may just have been having a bad day the day you met him...

McGill rejected me this year too, but I got interviews in Ontario. It took a while for the rejection to sink in because my McGill essay was the most polished one I wrote since it was due after the OMSAS applications. I'm certain their reason for rejecting me was my MCAT score. I think they should improve the application process in future years by having higher official MCAT cutoffs, because it seems like unofficially you need at least 10s in each section and a score of >37 to have a realistic chance. This way I would have better assessed my chances and not even applied in the first place.

This is just not true. I got in with an MCAT way below 37 (mine was 33) and my GPA was just above their cutoffs. It is do-able and not a waste at all to apply.

You must've had a balanced score though (i.e. at least 10). Try getting in with an 8!

Yes, I can confirm that you had at least 10 in all sections from your other posts and that you're in province, whereas I was OOP. Therefore, I strongly believe that with a low MCAT there is NO chance for an interview at McGill for an OOP student (even if you have a 4.5 GPA and have saved the world three times)

I realize that you are upset about not receiving an interview BUT I think that McGill has a MUCH better admissions process than Ontario schools simply because they DO NOT post strict cutoffs.

It is true that getting in as an OOP is nearly impossible, but that's a whole other story.

I, for example, didn't get any interviews in Ontario because I didnt meet their "cutoffs".... I wrote 4 flipping essays for Queen's and they throw out my application because I was one tenth of a point below their GPA cutoff.

On the other hand, McGill looks at the ENTIRE APPLICANT. They take into consideration someone who may not have a 3.85 and 37, but who has significant life experience. So I highly doubt that you were rejected based only on your MCAT score.. McGill does not work that way.

Archived