Premed 101 Forums

are interviewers know to ever ask about politics/political views?

Vallinar

• 2 weeks later...
As the title....

I know they ask about current evetnts, world issues etc.... but what about political views and issues with Canadian politics?

Hmmmm I'd say the very nature of world issues brings up political questions.

They probably wouldn't ask who you're voting for, or your opinion on the sponsorship scandal... but I'd recommend knowing some of the policies around health care and be able to formulate an opinion within a larger political context.

I've had quite a few interview questions that did not outwardly REQUIRE knowledge of specific political views, but that were much better answered by having a working understanding of how policy decisions are made. Does that make any sense at all? :)

For example. You probably don't need to know what the Liberal vs. Conservative Party positions are around privatisation of health care, but DO know the factors that would influence this position (for example public funding, service delivery, medical tourism, ideology, future sustainability, blah blah)

Cheers and good luck with interviews

I have my volunteer hours for the Green Party on my sketch, so it did come up tangentially at one point. They certainly didn't ask me to defend or discuss points of the party's platform, but I don't think any direct questioning about your political views would ever come up.

Definitely know the politics surrounding health care - e.g. privatization and a two-tiered system vs. a one-tiered system, with respect to both the impact on our health and the impact on our taxes and economy, etc.

Archived