Premed 101 Forums

"Tell me about yourself"

EllieGee

Any thoughts/advice on how to answer this, aside from "honestly"? I don't want to just give a shallow chronology of my life...should I go through my CV or my skill-set? I thought this might be something interesting to discuss! :) Replace "Me" with "One" and hopefully it will apply to everyone! :D

Best advice I got on this question was to think of a few "key words" that capture who you "are" - outgoing, fun, confident, whatever you think - and then use these to "fan out" to discuss your experiences, what experiences demonstrate your different attributes, etc. It's kind of like writing an essay - you don't start with your arguments, you start with a thesis and then come up with arguments that support it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a great link, thanks! I agree with EllieGee, for some reason this is the most daunting question for me (probably for the same reasons as outlined in that article), so to have a kind of formula is so helpful (I clearly love math :().

This question is sort of applicable to all questions posed during the interviews, but what do you guys think should be the average length of a good response?

I actually just got around to reading that article too, halijon (Question: are you from Halifax?) and it was totally helpful. Thanks so much for posting it! I had an idea my response should have been a lot longer, and would have certainly been a rambler had this come up in my interviews (I'm sure it will for Western though, which is still to come).

Good question, SpanishFly! I'm interested to hear what people think!!

to "tell me about yourself" I would try to keep it between 2-3 minutes, 5 minutes AT MOST. But try filming yourself answering the question... if you find you're dozing off to your own answer, make the appropriate adjustments :P

In general, I would say answer their questions, and leave them wanting more. Too much detail and you'll lose them, not enough, and you'll look like you don't know anything. If they're interested in further expanding the question, they will follow up on where you've left off (meaning that you are effectively controlling the direction of the interview!)

Good Luck!

Archived