Premed 101 Forums

research? or lack there-of?

so one of the more common questions i've heard come up in interviews is:

"Tell us of any research you've been involved with."

well, what IF.. you've actually never really been given the chance to be part of a "bonafide" research project?? surely 5000-word research papers (i.e. summaries/critiques of 15 articles off PubMed) and micro lab projects identifying organisms in undergrad don't count... do they??

i'm thinking that's a bit of a reach and at the same time, i really don't want to outright lie and make something up.

surely there have been med applicants who've been admitted w/out an extensive research background?

..advice? :confused:

My 2 cents :

Just be honnest. In your shoes I would say that I haven't participated in a major research project, but I've done those, and then elaborate a bit (ie about what I enjoyed about them/ if I plan to do more, etc.)

I'm sure there are lots of candidates with similar status, and if it was a major problem, for most schools at least, they would have rejected you pre-interview. If they ask, they're probably just wanting to know things like how you feel about research, if you intend to do some in the future, why you haven't done some yet, etc.

My 2 cents :

Just be honnest. In your shoes I would say that I haven't participated in a major research project, but I've done those, and then elaborate a bit (ie about what I enjoyed about them/ if I plan to do more, etc.)

I'm sure there are lots of candidates with similar status, and if it was a major problem, for most schools at least, they would have rejected you pre-interview. If they ask, they're probably just wanting to know things like how you feel about research, if you intend to do some in the future, why you haven't done some yet, etc.

thanks julie. although i've been lucky enough to be able to work in a lab under PHAC for the federal gov't, it wasn't a research-centric lab but a diagnostic one instead.. i guess i can bring that to the table as well.

thanks for your help..

Interviewer: "So, tell us about any research you have been involved with."

You: "Well, to be honest, I don't have any research experience. I feel that while research and development is a key part of our medical system, they do not interest me, and therefore, my time would be better spent in other pursuits. Some of the the other things I have done are...."

Interviewer: "You are so perceptive and self-actualized. You seem like a perfect candidate for our school. Please allow me to worship your intellect"

LOL

Considering that, at U of MB anyways, you can get into med school with a 3yr arts degree I don't think they can hold a lack of research against you. Just say you haven't done any... if they seem disappointed point the question in another direction. For example, if I was confronted I would start talking about how I work at a hospital (well an Mental Hospital) and that my experience there has helped me see what it's like to be on a health care team, etc. I think people fret too much about EC's and research and stuff... at least for U of MB, dont know about a lot of other places. Then again, I haven't gotten in yet so maybe I shouldn't talk.

Archived