Premed 101 Forums

Another ethics question this time...humans & animals

There's already a whole bunch of ethical questions focused exclusively on humans and I thought that I'd just go off in another direction and pose this question.

P------n is a estrogen replacement therapy drug. In it's heyday (1999), approx. 12 million North American women used various forms of this drug. Premarin is used to control symptoms of menopause and decrease the likelihood of osteoporosis.

P------n is manufactured from conjugated estrogens found in the urine of pregnant mares. This urine is 'farmed' by ranches, which are set up to collect the urine of such mares. Mares who are pregnant are confined 24 hours (150+ days) to a stall with a UCD (urine collection device) strapped in place, which may cause various ailments around the urinary and reproductive organs. A secondary result of continuous impregnation of horses is the large quantity of foals born each season. These foals are sometimes sold as pleasure horses, but frequent sent to slaughterhouses, after which they are exported internationally, and consumed.

1) critique the article (what information would you need to make a more informed decision about the ethics of this situation)?

2) comment on the ethics of the situation

3) propose possible solutions to this dilemma btw the pharma needs of humans and the welfare of animals

if you ever encounter this situation just state that the problem is moot. Extrogen replacement therapies are not even in favour any more because of the adverse effects in promoting breast and uterine cancers. In instances that they are used they rarely if ever use estrogen like compounds derived from mare urine. For the most part it's derived from Yams (yes.. the plant).

if you ever encounter this situation just state that the problem is moot. Extrogen replacement therapies are not even in favour any more because of the adverse effects in promoting breast and uterine cancers. In instances that they are used they rarely if ever use estrogen like compounds derived from mare urine. For the most part it's derived from Yams (yes.. the plant).

Bang on. Estrogen therapies have fallen out of favour with the publishing of new studies detailing increased risks of everything from cancer to cardiovascular disease with continued use. There are also plant based estrogens that are virtually identical to the estrogens contained in the drug and are a more humane alternative if some people still want to continue estrogen replacement therapies.

Overall, I this question was a good one to exercise one's critical thinking skills, and although this question might be somewhat outdated, the critical thinking skills used in answering may come to be useful in answering other questions that are similarly formatted. =)

Cheers!

Interesting topic! I live in a town where there is a P-----n ;) factory. I applied for a job there too, but I took a different one when they called me for an interview. My aunt owns a horse breeding ranch for the track, and I don't know too much about horses, but this is my opinion...

1. Q: Why do the horses need to be confined 24/7? Are they afraid that they will eat something bad that will end up in their urine? Q: How often are mares bred (probably as much as they can take)? Q: Is there another type of urine collecting device that will do less damage to the horses? Q: Who regulates the industry? Is there a vet that comes in to check on the health of the horses? Q: Is there a chemical/synthetic alternative to this drug? What are the benefits of using a natural source of horse urine? It's pretty expensive to maintain a horse - it might be cheaper to automate the process.

2. (I'm guessing the ethics is "is it okay to make animals suffer for the well-being of humans?) Well, it's not ethical to confine anything 24/7 or strap on things that will make it sore and not happy :( Basically, from the pharm's point of view, they can have a much smaller operation and smaller staff if they confine the horses. The horses don't need to have a field to run in, they won't eat anything nasty, they won't need a large staff to exercise them, either. From the horse's point of view, it's a pretty bleak existence, being forced to breed all the time, and probably not to very diverse stock (if they're not caring about the foals, anyway)... reminds me of puppy mills, in that way.

3. Selling the foals for food doesn't bother me. I think it's the same as selling piglets or calves - even though I have more of an emotional attachment to horses than I do to pigs or cows. I think the best solution would be to find a compromise - there are individuals who breed race horses for a living. Why not pay them a rate for collecting the pee from their horses who wear a pee-bag around in the field while they graze? It would be like wearing one of those little fly masks or wearing a poo-bag when they are in town. If they are worried about horses eating yucky plants, there are little feeder-stoppers you can put on horses: they do this to stop them from picking up parasites & soil bacteria that can damage the foal. There are always horses being bred for racing, pleasure, steeple, etc. so there will always be a supply. The breeder can recoop some of the cost to breed horses (which is a lot) and the pharm company can have pee.

Interesting! Haha...I love horses too. I used to ride when I was younger but have since stopped. Hopefully one day I'll pick it up again.

As for PMU ranches, I do like your suggestions involving working a deal out btw breeders and drug manufacturers. Too bad lots of breeders make enough money from the drug that they really don't give too much thought to the horse's welfare.

Archived