Premed 101 Forums

rural medicine stats/readings

Dear Premed101'ers:

While preparing for my interview with Western I am thinking of adding some spice to my response on "what's your opinion on rural medicine" and questions like that. Therefore I would like to know if any of you know of any pointers to

1) general readings into rural/SWOMEN medicine on the Internet/in the library.

2) sites where I can gather statistics on rural, SWOMEN and maybe northern Ontario (basically all the medically underserved areas in Ontario), their doctor/patient ratio, medical resource shortage, practice scenarios, etc etc etc.

For point 2 I was thinking of statcan (but maybe it may not narrow down to SWOMEN) and rummaging through Western's website for any possible pointers. I would appreciate any addition input any of you may have.

Thanks a million!

mcater2006

Don't know if you're aware of the Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine. You might want to look through some of the recent and back issues there -- they're all available free online.

pb

Dear Premed101'ers:

While preparing for my interview with Western I am thinking of adding some spice to my response on "what's your opinion on rural medicine" and questions like that. Therefore I would like to know if any of you know of any pointers to

1) general readings into rural/SWOMEN medicine on the Internet/in the library.

2) sites where I can gather statistics on rural, SWOMEN and maybe northern Ontario (basically all the medically underserved areas in Ontario), their doctor/patient ratio, medical resource shortage, practice scenarios, etc etc etc.

For point 2 I was thinking of statcan (but maybe it may not narrow down to SWOMEN) and rummaging through Western's website for any possible pointers. I would appreciate any addition input any of you may have.

Thanks a million!

mcater2006

Thanks to all of you for replying. Particularly to plowboy and blinknoodle for giving the tip about CJRM

I'm curious, does regurgitating salient pieces of statistics a good strategy during interview? Your opinions are greatly appreciated!

imo it will make you seem like a queer.

imo saying things like "make you seem like a queer" will be frowned upon, but hey -- that's just me.

i don't think stats will really add anything, personally. having an understanding of the problems & possible ways to improve them would be much more important.

lol i would never say queer in an interview... but can you jsut imagine an applicant bringing up all sorts of statistics trying to impress the adcoms? if i were on the adcom i would truly feel the applicant was pretty queer.

Well I can cite a lot of stats and percentages off the top of my head primarily because I have been engaging in studies that deal with health and human resource policy focused on rural medical practices in the province I reside as well as the country as a whole.

I hope such knowledge will not detract from the anti-queer image that I am attempting to project.

imo it will make you seem like a queer.

It's comments like this and people like you that perpetuate homophobia in medicine. If Western is where I end up, I'm hoping I won't encounter many people like you.

Rocky222, your comment was also quite immature. I guess I was wrong in expecting more tolerant behaviour from people aspiring to be doctors.

It's comments like this and people like you that perpetuate homophobia in medicine. If Western is where I end up, I'm hoping I won't encounter many people like you.

Rocky222, your comment was also quite immature. I guess I was wrong in expecting more tolerant behaviour from people aspiring to be doctors.

Uhm... i meant queer as in weird/strange.. you know what the word ACTUALLY means.

yea a queer = a weirdo

Alright, regardless of your intention, the word is debatably derogatory and would be better left not used in the context of trying to express abnormality, or weirdness in your view.

Words get thrown around a lot without considering the consequences of using them. All I hope/expect is that people entering medicine would be more understanding and respectful.

HP has a point, but overlooking the word and paying more attention to the concept vallinar is trying to evoke makes it seem not as bad in the end.

I know a few stats myself, just because they are quite staggering in their respective contexts. I dont think it will make you look like 'a weirdo' if you do.

Archived