Premed 101 Forums

Interview - focus on politics/current issues?

I was just wondering, for those of you who have already interviewed this year or in years past, if there tends to be a focus on questions regarding Canadian politics or current national/international issues? And if so, in what context might these topics come up? Thanks!

I'd say about 5-10 minutes of mine was about politics - they must vary quite a bit. Good luck!

Though I haven't had my interview yet, I feel that one would have certain control over the direction of the interview. For example, if you know absolutely nothing about politics then you probably will not mention anything close to it when you're speaking.

And frankly, if they were to ask me about something that I have very little knowledge of, I think it's always wise to be honest and say : yes it's a very important topic however I am not familiar enough and I would love to study more / read more about it so I can get back to you.

I wouldn't say that you really have that much control unless you're exceptionally careful about what you say (I would much rather not talk about politics, if given the choice). I said something very slightly related to the politics of health in answering a completely different question and the interview spun that into a series of further questions. In my case, I don't think it would have gone over very well to try to dodge the issues he was bringing up, but every panel is unique! I would just judge based on how your individual interview seems to be going.

I'd say very few interviews touch on random political issues, so I wouldn't worry about that too much! Some people might ask things like whether you're interested in the news or a book you've read recently, but I think that's about it. Even health care political issues aren't talked about all that much, really - usually they're more interested in your background and ethical scenarios.

I sure hope so! I can't for the life of me get into politics..I tried and tried and I'm still bored. I managed to do okay on MCAT WR without really paying attention to politics (also luck that I didn't get a political prompt).

Health politics is interesting to me, but regular politics? *snooze*

Just had my interview today, no politics or current issues were mentioned. Each interview is different and specific to your sketch. They just focused on one of my ECs and really grilled me about it. Just be careful what you say and only mention things that you know well and can defend/justify.

Archived