Premed 101 Forums

Two questions for my first mock

Dear Premed101'ers:

Thanks to everyone for answering my knockout mouse question and in-10-years question.

Today I just went through my first mock (what a grueling 1-hour session, felt like forever...whew), which left two issues lingering in my mind:

1. early on I was asked what I would do if 14-year-old girl came to me to get birth control and don't want her parents to know: now I know this is a very clichéd question, I definitely believe that I cannot tell her parents or any third party her personal information, but I just want to make sure with you that "age-of-consent" has nothing to do with disclosing private information of clients (even if underage) to their legal guardians/parents/third party if the private information do not constitute harm to themselves or other people?

2. I was asked a question about whether to drive my dad to Buffalo (American city) for a service which he's only waitlisted in Canada. I know this is asking about private vs public health care and answered correspondingly. But then the interviewer told me that there is a new law in Ontario that says gov will reimburse you for going to the States for treatment. My interviewer says he can't remember which law it is and told me to check on the Internet, do you have any ideas?

Thanks a million!

mcater2006

1) true...the whole idea of the mature minor...if he/she is able to understand the nature and consequences of giving consent or refusing treatment/test regardless of his/her age, then you have to respect that.

2) not sure about any specific laws...but the idea of a health care guarantee is that we establish maximum waiting times (based on relevant clinical criteria) for various treatments/diagnostic tests and if the patient can't get the service within that maximum waiting period, then the govt has to bear the costs of him/her receiving the treatment in another jurisdiction.

Archived