Premed 101 Forums

concerns...

Guest Meds2003

Guest Meds2003

Hey guys! I will be going to Ireland in the fall and while I am very excited about that one thought still keeps nagging at me - what happens after graduation? I know that right now it's pretty much impossible for FMG's to get a residency in Ontario. After reading and talking to a lot of people, the States seem to be the next best thing - considering they have about 7000 more residency positions than medical graduates. However, I know for us Canadians to get a residency in the states we have to get a visa which sometimes cannot be that easy. I was just wondering if those of you that are currently attending a foreign medical school or are planning to attend a foreign medical school share these concerns?

• 2 months later...
Guest redshifteffect

I've done a lot of research on this topic...the answer really depends on where you go to school. If you go to school in the caribbean you only have one option - the states.

If you've gone to Ireland or Australia the options are a little different. If you have done more than your basic degree in those countries ie...specialty in for example dermatology you have a much easier time coming back. However you will still have to right board exams, but provices such as newfoundland and manitoba have new schemes where they will grant you a temporary license if you meet certain requirements...hitch is that you have to live in those provinces for a year first.

You can go the US if you want. However you will have to apply to IMG friendly schools, and the best thing to do is to get sponsored on an H1B visa, which means you will not have to return to Canada after your training unlike on the J1 visa, you will also not not be required to sit any Canadian exams to get this visa (unlike the J1). So this is your best option. However you will have to write the USMLE 1-3 the CSA and the TOEFEL all of which (excep the TOEFL) will not be easy.

Finally and this is where it's important which school you go to, you may be able to stay in the country in which you are studying....along those lines for the same tuition you are paying in the Caribbean you can easily go to a school in Australia and Ireland. So the "wise" decision would be to decide what you want to do first and then pick your school after....it's always best to leave your options open.

For more information visit: www.caribbeanmedicine.com/

www.usmile.com

Guest driedcaribou

Lots of good information there by redshifteffect.

I didn't start learning about the different visas until he mentioned it.

Thanks.

Here is a comment by someone else on another forum that you might find interesting:

www.valuemd.com/viewtopic...155e771638

"the_wiseguy

Post subject: recent flinders grad. Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:48 am

just a quick word- i am a canadian who graduated flinders med in 2002. i am now doing my residency applications. between the visa issues and figuring out which programs to apply to i'm pulling my hair out! (even with a 95 on step 1!). nevertheless i can tell you that adelaide is actually a very nice city. that is only my opinion of course. i've been around- lived in canada, new york, los angeles,etc. and done alot of world-travel, so i feel somewhat qualified in saying adelaide is a nice city. it's a coastal city with lots of very nice areas, a nice city-center and great night-life. that was more than enough for me (and most med students, i would imagine).

as for flinders itself- loved my time there. great basic science/clinical staff and great student support. i felt good about my education. i think the affiliation with columbia in ny is great. i did two terms there and got a ref. letter + couldn't beat the experience of living in NYC!

"

I would really like to hear from more people who've come back from Australia and ask them if the paper work to come back makes it worth coming back.

Archived