Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residency..HELP!!!!

bro2k7

hello everyone,

this is my first post on these forums...

okay, my question is regarding permanent quebec residency.

i will be graduating form the university of manitoba with a BSc major in microbiology. i want to move to montreal after i graduate and apply for MDCM at mcgill.

i really want to get into the Resident category and am willing to live there for as long as it takes..lol. here in manitoba, if you live in the province for two years prior to applying, you are considered in province..its true for many other provinces too.

Is there a similar situation in quebec, where i can live there for a while and get residency..i have no link to quebec whatsoever..no family etc.

The website says that residency should be permanent and not provisional because i know that there is a way to become a resident if you live there for 12 months..but im not sure if it will be permanent..i think its only provisional..I emailed mcgill but they seem incapable of replying:(

there has to be a way right!! are any of you familiar with this situation or know someone who got into the ROQ category without being born or having family there??

IM WILLING TO DO WHATEVER IT TAKES COZ I REALLY WANT TO MOVE TO MONTREAL...AND GET INTO MCGILL!!!!

Thanks in advance guys.

I think you have to live here for 12 months while not going to school. I seem to remember my Ontario classmates mentioning that when talking about how to get in-province tuition for undergrad. Many of them have been here for 3-4 years, but because they've been students can make no residency claims. I have no idea about the difference between permanent and provisional... and am not too sure about the 12 months in the first place, I'm afraid!

Hi!

I agree with nutritional lee: you have to live in Quebec (renting apartment, showing your financial activities in Qc and not studying) for 12 consecutive months. Close to the end of this period you apply for the CSQ. Approval takes up to several months. In general everything could take ~1.5year. Only after your resident status becomes firm, not provisional (this is when you become eligible for CSQ but haven't got it yet) you apply as a QC resident.

Hope, this help.

Disclamer: please, check it with admissions office.

s.

hey, I think Sergie's mostly right, but I don't think that you need a CSQ if you are a Canadian citizen. I think that's only for immigrants. Otherwise, you just need to fill out a form that is on the university's website and send in some documents that prove your situation. That is, after you've spent your 12 months here not studying.

awesome..thanks for the quick input guys!!

sergie, i think you are right about the provisional thing and it all makes sense too..and blackkeys, i dont think you're considered a resident just by being a citizen..

this is awesome since i really want to get into the in province category.

oh yeah, and what does CSQ mean? is it that selection certificate issued to new immigrants?

thnx again everyone.

hey, I think Sergie's mostly right, but I don't think that you need a CSQ if you are a Canadian citizen. I think that's only for immigrants. Otherwise, you just need to fill out a form that is on the university's website and send in some documents that prove your situation. That is, after you've spent your 12 months here not studying.

Yes, you are right. CSQ is for immigration to QC purposes only. If you are a CAnadian citizen, you will prove your in province status with La card d'assurance maladie (health inssurance), which you will get after a period of 3 consecutive months in QC. Usually, this (La card) and one of your Canadian residency document are enough. Look through the options on McGill web site and chose the option, which is applicable to your particular situation to see what kind of documents you will need to submit.

GL.:)

s

lol..good question!!

i REALLY want to get out of here..not that i hate it, but i need a change!

Mcgill was my pick for several reasons. cheaper, better known(not that umanitoba isnt), better chances for in-provinces to get accepted and its in montreal (ive heard good things about it..so)

i might give umanitoba a try too..

but i change my mind a lot too because i obsessed over ubc and ualberta before..hehe.

Archived