Premed 101 Forums

queens cut-off 2008 ?

no one knows and they are getting harder and harder to predict. They definetely jacked WS up to an R. Its just a lesson for those writing the mcat, study everything to the max because you never know what becomes important and what doesn't.

Very true. Just always aim to get as high as you can, b/c you never know.

RR!!? ...thats real high!

thnx ppl! just more work and worries for me now :(

An R... seems daunting....

Follow the T(hesis)-A(ntithesis)-S(ynthesis) formula find some decent examples and I think with the least bit of decent writing... an R is well within reach...

I think the big advantage here is that for a lot american schools, they really don't care about the writing sample.... so most american premeds don't get into it too well..... so with minimal effort you should have a leg up on most.....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is absolutely no way to know...

If I had to guess, I think it'll go back to a Q.... but if I had to guess It would have never became an R in the first place.... I think the only way to be completely safe for western and queens is an 11,11,11 R lol.... but since that can't be a quite tough to do 10's and a Q should give you a good shot

Will Queen's likely maintain the Writing Sample cut-off of R for next year, or might it revert to a lower cut-off?

I know no one probably knows for sure, but based on previous trends, what are the chances of each situation?

It has changed every year for many of the past years. Most likely, it appears that it will change. Of course, there's no way of knowing for sure though.

From my understanding, the cutoffs are determined by the applicant pool (and a nifty computer). That said, if everyone applying next has an "R", then some other criterion will have to change to weed the pool down and determine who gets interviews (e.g. an 11 in BS). I don't think anyone saw the "R" coming this year...

From my understanding, the cutoffs are determined by the applicant pool (and a nifty computer). That said, if everyone applying next has an "R", then some other criterion will have to change to weed the pool down and determine who gets interviews (e.g. an 11 in BS). I don't think anyone saw the "R" coming this year...

Yeah but from what I gather, it wasn't to weed out applicants. Word through the grapevine is that they chose WS because it was a section where a person read it, evaluated it, and gave it a mark. I dont know why but apparently thats highly favorable with the ad comm.

There is absolutely no way to know...

If I had to guess, I think it'll go back to a Q.... but if I had to guess It would have never became an R in the first place.... I think the only way to be completely safe for western and queens is an 11,11,11 R lol.... but since that can't be a quite tough to do 10's and a Q should give you a good shot

lol thats my score :(

There was a group of ppl on these forums last application cycle or the year before that... that said Queen's was run by caucasian elitists who wanted to limit the number of Asians accepted into their program by screening them out in the interviews. And after rumors about this started to get out, Queen's removed the subjectivity from rejecting Asians by increasing the WS cutoff. I didn't support this view last year, but Queen's increased WS cutoff this year raised many eyebrows, including mine.

There was a group of ppl on these forums last application cycle or the year before that... that said Queen's was run by caucasian elitists who wanted to limit the number of Asians accepted into their program by screening them out in the interviews. And after rumors about this started to get out, Queen's removed the subjectivity from rejecting Asians by increasing the WS cutoff. I didn't support this view last year, but Queen's increased WS cutoff this year raised many eyebrows, including mine.

I was unaware of the fact that Asians are apparently incapable of writing.:rolleyes:

I don't want to attack you aclementine, but this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I think it is somewhat insulting to read your insinuation that Caucasians are somehow more apt at writing than others.

I just feel the need to say - face it people, stop blaming your rejection on racism. I met people from all types of backgrounds at Queen's, the notion that somehow racism is the cause of some rejections is absolutely ludicrous. It seems to me there's just a few bitter people out there who are unable to accept rejection and are trying to find a way to make up for their shortcomings by making up these idiotic theories.

Being rejected sucks, believe me, I know. There's really nothing that can be done about it. Amazing, kind, incredible people are going to be rejected. It's just the reality of how competitive things are right now. I'm not saying that people shouldn't feel upset about it, but sometimes, you just have to suck it up and accept it (and hopefully learn to improve for the next time). Yes, some of it is a crapshoot, but that goes with everything in life.

Honestly though, this whole bitter reject thing that so many people go through is pretty annoying.

Guest begaster

Lolololol! I remember that thread. It was stupid then and it's stupid now. I had no idea that Asians were genetically inferior writers.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2006/mcatgparaceeth.htm

A list of applicants in the U.S. by race and average score in each section....

Asian and Caucasians averaged a P on the writing sample showing that neither is favored from a WS perspective.....

If anything the native Peurto-Ricans applying to canadian medschools from their home country should be up in arms as it is obvious Queens has intentionally constructed a policy to keep them out of their med-school... Native Hawaiians are probably also pissed.

Racism is by no means extinct.... and who knows, maybe the odd higher up carries some racial prejudices but what is the likely hood that a team of respected affluent individuals of which we don't know the races of....have come together and intentionally try to keep minorities out of medical school.

These are people ranging from the Admissions officers to the Dean of the Medical school that would have to collaborate to do this....

And they are choosing a racial policy that doesn't even work! unless they're after some pretty specific target minorities...

All things considered that's a weak conspiracy you've got going on.

Racism is by no means extinct.... and who knows, maybe the odd higher up carries some racial prejudices but what is the likely hood that a team of respected affluent individuals of which we don't know the races of....have come together and intentionally try to keep minorities out of medical school.

These are people ranging from the Admissions officers to the Dean of the Medical school that would have to collaborate to do this....

Yeah, man, I'm white and blonde, and when I looked at a random picture of U of C's med lecture on their website a while ago, I think I saw an impressive 2 people like me out of some 50 people in the pic...everyone looked either Asian (East or South) or Jewish.

I completely disagree with the above statements. Obviously, as a newly accepted student, I don't have any true insight into the admissions process. However, I do know that the Meds 2008 Facebook group has great diversity. I'm looking forward to getting to know each of my classmates, and learning from and about each of our varied backgrounds.

Elaine

Archived