Premed 101 Forums

advice please

Guest ikaj

My marks for the first two years in school is about 3.3. After my 3rd year it went down to 3.0. (My marks dropped in 3rd year after I faced a personal crisis during my exams:( )

I just wrote the mcat yesterday. I expect that my scores won't be anything spectacular. I will have to wait until october to find that out.

My extra-curricula is average. I have done some hospital volunteering. Some teaching. Some community work. Some sports. Worked as a summer research student for a couple of years. etc.

I would love to attend medical school in Canada or US. But since I don't have a stellar volunteer record to make for the poor gpa, Im thinking of turning international.

I don't want to do a second degree or graduate work. I would like to enter medical school right after I finish my ungrad degree.

I would appreciate if someone could answer the following questions and give any advice.

1.How does my gpa compare to others who get accepted to the caribbean schools?

2. Which caribbean schools are good to apply to? are there any i should avoid?

3. what is the tuition like? How about the cost of living down there?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My marks for the first two years in school is about 3.3. After my 3rd year it went down to 3.0. (My marks dropped in 3rd year after I faced a personal crisis during my exams )

I just wrote the mcat yesterday. I expect that my scores won't be anything spectacular. I will have to wait until october to find that out.

[My marks after four years cumulative was 3.23 with a Biochemistry degree and my MCAT scores were 10 V, 9, 9, P]

My extra-curricula is average. I have done some hospital volunteering. Some teaching. Some community work. Some sports. Worked as a summer research student for a couple of years. etc.

[sounds fine]

1.How does my gpa compare to others who get accepted to the caribbean schools?

[Your GPA should be fine]

2. Which caribbean schools are good to apply to? are there any i should avoid?

[Apply to the well established schools-St. George's University, Ross, and avoid small newly established schools (i.e. < 10 yrs old).

3. what is the tuition like? How about the cost of living down there?

[Depends where you go, Ross is cheaper and SGU is more expensive (like 42,000 USD/yr that would include airfare, housing, books and tuition). Cost of living at SGU is ~ 300 USD/month depending on your preference of course. I don't know the cost of living at Ross...maybe somebody else can fill it in for you.]

If you have any more questions concerning SGU, email me at drcy@hotmail.com with the subject "Info about SGU" or something so I know it isn't spam mail.

Take care.

Archived