Premed 101 Forums

Info for all Considering Australia

Guest redshifteffect

Guest redshifteffect

Hey all,

I've posted a couple of different times about this same subject so I thought I would just post it all together in one msg.

1) for everyone out there that is considering coming to Australia that has a degree but thinks its too expensive I have found an alternative for you.

I've been in close contact with the DIMA office here in Tas and they tell me that if you have a degree your chance of getting immigration into australia is quite good.

check out http://www.immi.gov.au for urself.

Anyway why would you want it? Well essentially you will be able to get HECS which means the government will pay for your education (A $6000 for most medschools) and then you will only have to pay them back the principal @ 2 % per annum of ur salary IF you stay in Australia. The point is that this is now MUCH cheaper than staying in Canada and you will get a top notch education to boot.

Also having a PR will be really benefical if you choose to stay and live here. It means easier access to jobs etc etc...though u do not require it to get an internship, but I guess it does help.

Finally after two years (depending on your age, but I think most of you will qualify) you will be able to receive Youth allowance. This means that you can get upto $400/two weeks for your living expenses. You will also be able to qualify for rural bonded scholarships etc...meaning if u promise to practice in a rural area for 6 years the gov't will pay u A $20 000 per year.

if you require more information email me @ znshaikh@utas.edu.au or zeshan1@hotmail.com Put Aussie medschool or something like that in ur title please.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just wanted to know when the application deadline for international applicants was for USydney. I checked the website but it was confusing to me (local vs. internationl applicants).

As well, what is involved in the application? I couldn't find anything other than a form to apply for undergraduate admission. Do they require reference letters/essays etc?

I'm new to looking into Australia for med. school, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there gonzo23,

I'm in Sydney at the moment, and curious about the U. Sydney program and admissions process, got in contact with the admissions folks to ask some of the same questions. It appears that only two factors are considered when applying here: GPA (as calculated akin to U. Ottawa's weighting system) and cumulative MCAT score (I believe you need a 26M as a minimum). It does not seem that they require any additional information, from what I've been told, and it is simply those two factors that are used when deciding who receives an interview.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks Kirsteen,

So then would you happen to know about the GPA cutoff? I think I'm around a 3.77 with 3 years (the way Ottawa calculates it) and hopefully higher after 4th year.

As well, so we seriously just apply as an undergrad, and tick "medicine" and then send our MCAT scores and transcripts?

Interesting. I'm impressed with the travelling you've done to visit all these schools and the amount you are applying to!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there gonzo23,

The Sydney GPA cut-off is posted on their website, although it is not based on a 4.00 scale (I can't recall the exact number).

As far as the application itself, I know the details are also posted on the website and I was going to look into them in more detail tomorrow, once I've finally gotten abreast of all that's been going on here in TO while I've been away. (By the way, I didn't travel to Sydney to check out U. Sydney--that would be pretty avid! :) I was in town for a conference.)

Cheers, and best of luck with your applications,

Kirsteen

Archived