Premed 101 Forums

UK Schools...

Guest c4rd14c

Guest c4rd14c

I've been looking mostly at Carribean schools so far but have been considering investigating UK schools next. Don't suppose anyone would like to summarize what they have found??

I looked into the Atlantic Bridge program for the Irish schools but they were not very helpful when I called.

Is 32000 pounds / year for tuition the actual amount? That works out to more than US medical school tuition...

Are the UK schools the same amount?

Guest GonnaBnMD

I wasted a whole year and a lot of $$$ applying to the UK schools. The application process (through UCAS) is difficult and confusing and some of them require you to take their own special aptitude tests. Then, if they want to interview you you have to fly over there. According to one admissions office they reject about 95% of the Canadian (and American) applications they get. This is mainly because they have a policy of giving preference to applicants from third world and developing nations.

Ireland takes 130 North American students each year and, according to AB, approx. 60% of them are Canadian this year. Only The Royal College of Surgeons costs 32,000 Euros (pounds no loger exist). It is a private school. The other schools are around 21,300 Euros which is pretty reasonable. I have found the Atlantic Bridge Programme people to be very nice and helpful. They answer all my incessant emails promptly!! They will provide you with details about fees and financial aid when they send you an application form and their application process is relatively simple. They also manage your financial aid for the entire time you are in Ireland. Hope this helps.

Archived