Premed 101 Forums

Questions about UK medical schools

Guest stallion001

Guest stallion001

Just wanted to clarify some things.

When talking about "graduate medical schools" in the UK, does that mean schools that accept students with a university degree or schools that will accept Canadian students that have already graduated from a medical school in Canada

Also, can I apply to get into a 4 year program at a UK school without taking the BMAT. I understand that to get into Cambridge you have to take this exam. But what schools don't require this test, take international students and have a 4 year program?

Also, those of you who have been accepted to Warwick, are you in a 4 or 5 or 7 year program.

Thanks

Guest Clipper

Hi Stallion001

By "graduate medical schools", do you mean a “graduate entry course/program” offered by a medical school? If so, yes they are intended for students who already hold a university degree. Traditionally in the UK, students are accepted to medical school right after high school. These new graduate entry course/programs are intended for students who may have decided to pursue medicine later in their educational careers ie after an undergraduate degree. Most graduate entry course/programs accept international applicants (some don’t eg. Cambridge).

Since the BMAT is quite a new development I doubt all medical schools in the UK requiring it. Please correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know Cambridge, Oxford and UCL use it. Check out the BMAT website: www.bmat.org.uk/

Clipper

Hi Stallion,

As Clipper said Graduate Entry programs are for those students who already hold a University degree. However, with that being said, many of the schools want to know what area your degree is in. For example, Warwick wanted to know exactly what courses I had taken, and wanted to know the exact subjects covered in each course. :\

I was accepted at Warwick into the 4-year program. I am not aware of a Warwick offering a 7-year program. :eek When I applied I applied to all the schools that offered a 4-year program (graduate entry). As a side note, I would not bother applying to Birmingham as they only have a class size of ~35 students in the graduate entry, as it is a brand new graduate entry program (if I remember correctly). That may have been increased since last year, but I know at my Warwick interview there was only one person on my interview day who had been offered an interview, and he lived in the UK. Now, if they have increased their class size it may be worth looking at....just my opinion.

Cheers,

J.

Guest stallion001

Hi Clipper and j100,

thanks for answering my questions. I'm going to be applying to all the graduate entry schools in the UK......but I don't want to write the BMAT.........can't deal with anymore standardized tests:\ .

Which schools would you recommend I apply for?

I am finishing my master's degree right now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Scottish Chap

Newcastle, Liverpool, and one of the London medical schools (there are three and I forget which it is) do not require BMAT/GAMSAT or any other entry test. They are all four-year programmes. You'll need at least a 3.5 GPA for them to consider you. Check to see if they accept internationals. If you don't mind doing 5 years, the University of Glasgow and Dundee University-both in Scotland have accepted Canadians in the past. Glasgow has a 3.4 Canadian GPA cut-off. Good luck! :D

Yes, I agree Glasgow's GPA cut-off is 3.4. However, Glasgow is the best medical school in the UK, so chances are people who are admitted would be higher. When I say the best medical school I am not referring to personal feelings, it just what the reviews of the various schools have found. They have received 5 stars in all areas, and also have traditionally been know for very good medicine - just a side note.....:hat

Cheers,

J.

Archived