Premed 101 Forums

Australian Grads and MCCEE

Guest mika1616

Guest mika1616

I was looking at the MCCEE webpage and it appears that Australian grads need 1 year of supervised clinical training in addition to their medical degree before they are eligible to write these exams. Is this postgrad training? I was under the impression the prospect of returning to Canada for Australian grads was becoming a little brighter, but this really puts a real damper on things. Not to mention practically all residency programs you apply to require/prefer the MCCEEs. Any comments?

• 7 months later...
Guest redshifteffect

I think the reason that aussie grads need that extra year, is likely because to graduate from an aussie medical school and to be licensed to practice in australia local students (aussies) need to have completed an extra internship year.

First of all it is more than likely that even as an "international" you will get a spot in this internship year because like Canada Australia has a shortage of doctors (and interns). Second you do get paid for this! And from what I hear in tassie (which pays the most of any state) the rate of pay is upto $70 000 a year...!!! I think that as a first year out of med school that's pretty good.!

Guest Shahenshah

to kelly 20..they (those accepting international students) r for the most part 4 year programs and you enter after your B.Sc.\B.A...they cost in tuition about 30000 cad/year

as for the other issue..I honestly thought for the extra clinical year you do not get paid..I mean I am almost 90% certain..could someone please clarify this

Guest redshifteffect

That is the not the case, you do get paid for internship year, even if you are an international student. As I said that varies depending on your state. Tasmania pays the most however.

Also the tutition varies, Tassie is probably the cheapest program, but it's a 6 year program (no exceptions) some of the other ones are 4 or 5 years.

Archived