Premed 101 Forums

ENGLAND SCHOOLS

Guest BCBUFF

Guest BCBUFF

Does anyone have any info about applying to british medical schools? what grades do they look at? high school? undergrad?....do they look at extra cirricular activities?

any names of school that come to mind? how hard is it to get admission?

thanks a quadrillion!

From what I understand, the British system is different from our North American one. Prospective medical students apply directly from highschool and pretty much have straight A's. The program is therefore 7 years (approx.) and eliminates the need for an undergraduate degree. They do accept international students but I do not know what criteria must be met. Just a little info. that I know.

Guest Ian Wong

There was at least one student in my class that spent a year in the Irish medical school system. Unfortunately, I don't have any current details for you. If I come across something in the future, I will post it, but I can't make any promises.

Ian

UBC, MS2

• 4 months later...
Guest bossman1818

Hi, mabey I can shed some light

Recently, I have been looking to applying to an Irish medical school (Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland), considering I am a recent high school graduate, through the atlantic bridge program in the States. Just some information for you, if you are out of high school, then the normal average is around 85% for those that are accepted. From what I've heard, the average gpa for those that hold a degree is around a 3.3 - 3.5. (things I've heard from others!) Those applying from high school go directly into the six year program, those with degrees go into the five year program. hope that helps

the web site for the atlantic bridge program is www.atlanticbridge.com/.

Guest Ian Wong

Just remember that if you go overseas for medical school that you will have a heck of a time trying to get a residency here in Canada afterwards. Unless you graduate from a Canadian medical school, you will not have the priority that Canadian med students get when applying to Canadian residencies through the Canadian Residency Matching Service/CaRMS(where you train in your medical specialty).

There's a number of previous threads about this, which you can find by poking around.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

I keep hearing that if you go to med school outside of Canada it's really tough to come back. But how can this be true? It seems like a huge number of physicians are from England, Australia, India or China. When people say that it's hard to get back into Canada, do they mean it's hard to compete for a residency, but it's easier to get in once you finish training?

Guest Ian Wong

Ah, but how many of those international doctors are young ones who have come here in the last few years. Not too many. I think those doctors came to Canada at an earlier time period when the regulations were different and more flexible.

As I understand it, international medical school graduates cannot apply in the first round of CaRMS, where you match into your specialty training programs. You can only match in the second round, after all the Canadian medical school graduates have had a chance to match. As a result, most of the remaining positions are less desirable/appealing, and often are in less attractive locations.

If you are a foreign-trained physician, depending on where you graduated from, you need to check whether your license is recognized in Canada. One country where it is is South African. As a result, we have a large number of South African doctors in Vancouver, many of whom left South Africa because of the political and social turmoil. Even then, I think for at least some of those doctors, there is a requirement to practise in an underserved community for a number of years before you can become fully licensed and can practise wherever you wish. I'm a little fuzzy on this; someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

If your license is not recognised, then you'd have to retrain from the beginning, which I assume would be starting residency all over again. I've had the opportunity to work with a number of doctors from China who were practising physicians there, but had come to Canada and took research positions because they weren't eligible to practise medicine here.

As to where to check on your licensing, I don't know the answer to that. A good place to start looking would be at the Medical Council of Canada website, which is here:

www.mcc.ca

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 5 months later...

Yes, I just wanted to add that people interested in uk med schools should check out UCAS, shich is a application service much the same as the one in America.

Does anyine know if physicians in the uk are in need?

• 2 weeks later...

In February 2002 the British Gov't announced it will increase visa acceptance for foreigners in medicine, teaching and computer fields but will decrease acceptance of long term working holiday applicants (low skilled labor). So you have a good chance of earning some sterling as a doctor.

• 1 year later...
Guest gfunk

Hello,

I am a student at the university of Ottawa, and a frankly frustrated right now regarding med schools in Canada. I have tried for two years to get in, and have not even received an interview. I've been working like a dog and have sacrificed a lot to get a 3.5 GPA, and have volunteered every summer since finishing high school. I've won awards for leadership, and also teamwork and still no one has even given me a shot. I will be doing my masters degree in the fall, so I'll apply once more and if I don't get in I will go to the UK.

I am leaving the Bahamas out because I think some of the schools are just not giving me enough info on residency spots, and some of them just look bad. I feel so frustrated because a friend of mine that cheats, steals and does drugs was accepted there! I feel robed because he didn't write the MCAT, nor did he do 3 years of university.

I don't know but should I keep trying for Canada? If I go to GBR will I be able to come back to Canada? The thing is I love this country. It gave me and my parents freedom, and the opportunity to learn. I was born in Canada, and as such I have such a strong bond with it! I would not at all mind coming back and practicing in Rural townships even! If someone has experience with this problem please let me know. I feel so down right now, and frustrated too!

Thank you,

Gfunk

Guest mymomthinksimacatch

Hi gfunk.

I've applied to England (rejected), been accepted in Ireland (UCD), and am waiting to hear about UBC (3rd go around in Canada). Here's my read on British/Irish/Canadian schools, and the question of coming back to Canada.

The schools in England and Ireland appear to offer a quality education, and coming back SHOULD be achievable (it is definately an unknown). The issue for me is less "yes or no", but "at what cost?" The projection from the UBC residency advisors is that the system will have more places to offer in the future for foreign students looking for residencies, but you're still facing being matched in the 2nd round. This means you take what you can get, and should plan on doing a GP residency, likely in a rural area. Some specialization residencies go unmatched, but you can't anticipate which ones, and therefore can't really compete for them. Further, entering the system via this route means that you don't have the connections you gain by doing medical school here. Not likely to stop you from doing anything, but won't help you either. The jaded voice in my head reminds me "its all who you know"...

Basically, I feel it is doable, but it may limit your future options. If you are thinking England, spend the time to research the schools through UCAS (specifically those offering a 4 year program that are interested in mature students). Given the dismal prospects here it is probably worth applying to these schools, and re-evaluating your prospects if they come through. Just be ready to drop some cash for Ireland! :eek

All the best

mymom

Archived