Premed 101 Forums

Caribbean vs. Irish Schools

Guest Nica7

Guest Nica7

I was wondering what peoples views were regarding attending one of the 4 irish medical schools vs. attending St. Georges University?

Any views or advice?

If you plan to return to Canada to practice then I don't think there's any advantage to go to either the Irish or SGU med schools. It'll be difficult both ways. However, I am probably biased but I think going to SGU will give you better odds in doing your residency and beyond in the US than going to the Irish schools would. It totally depends on what you want to do after you get your MD.

Guest Nica7

Are you at SGU? I know it is a very good school- I guess I am stuck on the stigma attached with caribbean schools! Does this bother you at all and how do you deal with the ignorant people who don't know better.

Yes, I'm at SGU in my second semester. The stigma with Caribbean schools doesn't really apply to SGU as much since we've established the school for over 25 yrs. There are SGU grads in faculty and in key positions in the US with more as time passes. People that have heard of SGU usually have a good impression of it. I'll tell you this: American Medical Association that certifies medical schools in the US was willing to certify SGU as equal to a mainland US school on one of several conditions that included the main sticking point-SGU must stop accepting students in the January class and revert to a full-year schedule like the US mainland schools. Well, SGU refused because they like the extra monetary inflow that it generates from having two entering classes per year. On a personal note, it doesn't bother me anymore what people think of Caribbean medical schools because I've come to realize that SGU is a great school and once you're working, nobody will care if you're a doctor that graduated from Harvard or SGU as long as you are a good doctor. I look at it this way, SGU and other Caribbean universities like Ross who are recognized as good schools gives the opportunity to become what you have always wanted and the rest of it comes down to the student if they will excel and become good physicians then they'll do well wherever you go whether it be Harvard or SGU.

Guest kellyl20

I became ill when I was visiting down the States at one time and I was advised by the people there to check out first where the doctor graduated from before I commit to an appointment. I don't think that it is a concern in Canada. I am under the impression it does matter to patients in the States where and which med school the doctor did his training in; of course, perhaps unfairly.:\

Archived