Premed 101 Forums

caribbean med school question

Guest jaymin82

Guest jaymin82

i have a 3.0 gpa and a 3.1 science gpa. I have tons of volunteer hours as I help out a youth camp as a volunteer and work with disabled students all the time. What are the chances of me getting into a good caribbean med school? and does anyone know what the best caribbean med school is? I have yet to take the MCAT's and I dont' know if i should and would you recommend me taking them? By the way, I live in atlanta, ga and would do my residency in the US. Please help me out if you can

Guest cradlecrotch

Yes, you can get into a Caribbean medical school. I recommend you consider only Ross and St. George's. These are the established ones with good reputations in the US. You must take the MCAT to get into these schools. If you get 8s you'll be just fine. You will spend half the time on the islands and then do your clinicals in the states. Then you'd write the USMLE and match for a US residency.

Good luck.

Guest cradlecrotch

Nope... Don't tell me there's someone out there running around with my name. That'd be a shame. You try so hard to be original, you know? Anyway, I'm not the person you're thinking of...someone who also went to a Carib school maybe? There are a bunch of Canadians down here. Incidentally, the weather's beautiful...27 and sunny every day...oh I'm sorry, what's it like in TO, -35 with the wind? That's a shame. Sorry I can't relate. Moohahaha....

Guest Kirsteen

You naughty one, you!

Corr, you're not far off: it's Everest-at-29,000-feet weather here these days. Mind you, we don't normally have to worry about really mad hurricanes, mosquitoes in December, and toe-pinching land crabs and the like, although compared to this, I'm thinking a little bit of warm, yet speedy breeze would be refreshing!

Cheers, and enjoy the heat for all of us,

Kirsteen

With those grades, I think you'll be accepted but definitely do your MCAT for sure. If you have a green card or you're an American citizen, it's definitely an idea you should consider-Carriben med school if things in the US/Canada don't pan out. As for myself, I'd have to agree with the aforementioned schools of either Ross or St. George's University. If you need some info on SGU, email me at drcy@hotmail.com as I'm attending it currently. Good luck whatever your choice!

Guest Monica777

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of Windsor University School of Medicine in St. Kitts. If so, what have you heard/know?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Monica

Guest Badkarma25

This school is a joke and a farce, and I would advise you not to touch it with a 10 foot pole. My advice to you is, if you want to go to a carribean school, pick one that's been around at LEAST 10 years and who has graduated students doing residencies in the U.S., and NEVER pick one that will take North American students out of grade 10.

Archived