Premed 101 Forums

MD Decision: Ottawa or Mac

I was accepted to both Ottawa and Mac and have no clue what to choose...

Any suggestions on which one to go to? I feel so honoured/lucky to have this dilemma to deal with but am still so confused...

Any input would be very helpful...thanks!

p.s. congrats to everyone who was accepted!

1. Do you want to be done in 3 or 4 years? This also applies to paying less tuition.

2. Would you rather live in Ottawa or Mac (seems an obvious choice to me, but my family are in Ottawa)?

3. What residency would you like to do? If it is competitive, does it require research, and/or extensive electives. In a 3 year program you will have less time to pursue such things.

Those are the major things I can think of.

Ottawa is changing their curriculum to be more self-directed, so I have no idea what it will be like compared to Mac's.

Hey there- thought i'd throw my two cents in... I'd decided on ottawa - I was wait listed for Mcmaster but given the choice I would say ottawa is the best of both worlds :) PBL (or rather case based learning ) AND lectures etc... ALSO- ottawa has revamped it's curric. so that students have time off each week in the afternoon to do work or do electives or whatever etc... it's going to be a great time:) cheers!

As a med student from Mac, the school has a wonderful med program. Not only you save one year, you get to meet the coolest profs. I talked to some students in their last year, and all of them are so prepared for the board exams. :)

I really hope to see you in september!!!!! Mac rocks!!!!

Archived