Premed 101 Forums

Hey there,

So I heard that they are not giving out PDAs anymore? Does anyone know why that is and how will the podcasting of lectures work for the incoming class?

thanks!

Ok .. now that I've read the other thread, I know why you are asking this question.

For lectures +/- podcasts, you just need a computer; and if you want to follow along and take notes during class (which most of the class does) you would use a laptop, otherwise you can access them from home or @ the North Pole (assuming there is internet access =P).

Personally, I don't use the PDA at all ... but I am thinking I might need it during clerkship ... but definitely not for the first couple of years ...

So I heard that they are not giving out PDAs anymore? Does anyone know why that is and how will the podcasting of lectures work for the incoming class?

As for why they aren't being given out, apparently it has to do with few students making use of them as more than a glorified day timer before clerkship. The goal now is to have better training on how to get maximal use of them before we start clerkship.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Do lots of students bring their laptop to class to take notes?

Ok .. now that I've read the other thread, I know why you are asking this question.

For lectures +/- podcasts, you just need a computer; and if you want to follow along and take notes during class (which most of the class does) you would use a laptop, otherwise you can access them from home or @ the North Pole (assuming there is internet access =P).

Personally, I don't use the PDA at all ... but I am thinking I might need it during clerkship ... but definitely not for the first couple of years ...

Guest MEDDOC

Almost everyone brings a laptop to class at the UofC Medschool. There are a few who don't but an overwhelming majority do bring one.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Do lots of students bring their laptop to class to take notes?

Yea ... almost all do ...

But it boils down to your own preference. For example, some classmates have their laptops with them but they just don't use it during class (they just sit and listen). Some load the lecture notes on their laptops but use pen and paper to take notes ... and some use the laptop for both taking notes and following along . Basically it's entirely up to you ... and sooner or later u will find your own optimum way of learning :rolleyes:

Or others use tablet pcs and write notes directly on them. If you're going to be taking notes on a laptop, I'd suggest you back up all your info regularly because a lot of people seem to have had hard drive crashes over the year from lugging their laptop back and forth daily.

• 1 month later...

Archived