Premed 101 Forums

Can someone who was accepted this year or in recent years share some of the material that was on your sketch? I'm applying this fall and have met the wgpa cutoffs for my area, but am unsure of what to include for my sketch - it's my understanding that Ottawa REALLY emphasizes a quality sketch, and that the information they give out about what their looking for in the sketch is next to nil, "hush-hush". However, there must be trends among students who get in. Could anyone share these trends?

Thanks!

Just want to point out sketches are evaluated to determine who gets the interview, not who gets in. Only the interview score (plus GPA as a tie breaker) is used post-interview for selection of final candidates.

Thanks for the reply. Can you then tell me what Ottawa is looking for in the sketch to reach the interview stage once the wgpa has been met? (ie - extensive work experience, research, etc).

Nobody is really going to be able to answer that question....most of us have no clue why we got in!

At this point, there really isn`t anything you can do to "improve" your sketch content...your life is what it is in terms of research, volunteer experience etc.

You just need to make sure that you are able to explain key aspects of your experiences in the limited amount of space you have.

There really aren't any trends I have observed in terms of experiences. Our class is pretty diverse.

Totally agree with Satsuma, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what they are looking for, but to help you out a bit Steelie, I will list just a few points that I feel may have helped me get an interview at Ottawa. Just keep in mind that these points do not mean that's why I got the interview...this is just what I "feel" MAY have helped me...

Thesis project in 4th year

Summer NSERC

Volunteered at a couple of clinics in South Africa

Performed audits in the Pathology Department at a hospital in England

In-Course Scholarships (for high academic achievements)

And then the extracurriculars and other volunteering stuff...nothing else that really stands out to me.

Having said all that, just make sure you don't mistake what I said as what they want...just because I traveled, doesnt mean you have to in order to get an interview.

Hope that helps a bit

Archived