Premed 101 Forums

Orientation Necessary?

just a note: this is a very different kind of orientation than the one you got when went from highschool into university.

i talked to someone who had to skip it, and they said that at first, the student affairs office said it was mandatory. but she had her the dean of her current program write a letter as to why she had to miss it, and they were okay with it. she then had to at some later point read and sign the oath on professionalism, and also write an essay of at least 1000 words on teamwork (there is a session during O week about teamwork that is mandatory.

so to answer your question, is it mandatory -- they will tell you yes, unless you have a really good reason. and then you have to make up for it.

so basically unless you got a really good reason, missing O week is like missing out on a ton of fun and meeting your class mates AND being hit with a bunch of work instead. so i would go to O week =). its totally not lame, especially with the crazy Orientation leaders you guys got. its going to be awesome!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm deciding on whether I should move into my apartment Sept 1 or Aug 1.

Is orientation week really busy? If I move in Sept 1, will there be enough time for me to settle in, buy all my furniture & assemble it (I'm coming from Ottawa!), and still participate in all the orientation activities? Are there going to be classes or work in the first week?

I'm asking because I'd rather not spend an extra month's rent in August. I haven't found a place yet.

I'm deciding on whether I should move into my apartment Sept 1 or Aug 1.

Is orientation week really busy? If I move in Sept 1, will there be enough time for me to settle in, buy all my furniture & assemble it (I'm coming from Ottawa!), and still participate in all the orientation activities? Are there going to be classes or work in the first week?

I'm asking because I'd rather not spend an extra month's rent in August. I haven't found a place yet.

Timewise, here is how our schedule went last year for orientation:

Monday: 8:45am - 4:30pm, and the night at the bar started at 9pm.

Tuesday: 7:15am - 4:30pm

Wednesday: 10am - 4:30pm, and the night at the bar started at 7:30pm.

Thursday: 12pm-3pm, then 7pm-9pm

Friday: 12:15pm - 4pm (this was a golf tournament with limited space so it isn't comprised of the entire class), then the pub crawl starts at 7pm.

There's no work during the first week whatsoever.

just a note: this is a very different kind of orientation than the one you got when went from highschool into university.

i talked to someone who had to skip it, and they said that at first, the student affairs office said it was mandatory. but she had her the dean of her current program write a letter as to why she had to miss it, and they were okay with it. she then had to at some later point read and sign the oath on professionalism, and also write an essay of at least 1000 words on teamwork (there is a session during O week about teamwork that is mandatory.

so to answer your question, is it mandatory -- they will tell you yes, unless you have a really good reason. and then you have to make up for it.

so basically unless you got a really good reason, missing O week is like missing out on a ton of fun and meeting your class mates AND being hit with a bunch of work instead. so i would go to O week =). its totally not lame, especially with the crazy Orientation leaders you guys got. its going to be awesome!

Yeah, one of the receptionists said it was mandatory to me, too. Can't wait! Are the 2011's coming out for any of the events or pub crawls? God, it seems like my summer is going to start on o-week. Well, at least it sounds like fun!

________

Ford model u picture

Archived