Premed 101 Forums

Does ubc favor its own students?

Lets say two students have identical applications across the board...Will UBC take the student who completed their undergrad at UBC? I feel like they would but I just wanted to hear some opinions. Also another question I had was how hard was it to volunteer in hospitals and get the experience needed to go to medical school? The reason I ask is because I imagine it is difficult with the sheer volume of "pre med" students in the lower mainland.

Lets say two students have identical applications across the board...Will UBC take the student who completed their undergrad at UBC? I feel like they would but I just wanted to hear some opinions. Also another question I had was how hard was it to volunteer in hospitals and get the experience needed to go to medical school? The reason I ask is because I imagine it is difficult with the sheer volume of "pre med" students in the lower mainland.

?? wow nobody wants to comment?

i really don't think they care what your undergrad uni is and there is no reason they should...they already have enough factors to consider.

you don't really "need" to volunteer in hospitals..but it's definitely a good idea..i don't think it's that hard to find a volunteer position at a hospital..i think they (eg st. paul's, vgh) hold information sessions a few times a year where u can learn about the different opportunities and fill out an application form at the end...and they'll contact u for an interview and u go from there.

ubc hospital is probably more "competitive" cuz so many premeds want to volunteer there...i once heard there was a waiting list for it or something.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think they outright favor their own students, but i think generally that stronger students attend ubc for pre-med (given that ubc has a "better" reputation than other bc unis) and this reflects in the admissions stats (i am not a ubc student). other bc unis like SFU and UVic garner a much smaller piece of the admissions pie (partly because they are so much smaller than UBC) but i don't think students from their are discriminated against. Furthermore, those who attend UBC will inevitably have a much better idea of what is expected on their application and will follow through lifewise.

ps

i don't feel that volunteering in a hospital like vgh or ubc will really distinguish you from everyone else. If you want to stick out on your application you should try volunteering at riverview or the forensic psychiatric center (it will show you know how to work with people)

ps

i don't feel that volunteering in a hospital like vgh or ubc will really distinguish you from everyone else. If you want to stick out on your application you should try volunteering at riverview or the forensic psychiatric center (it will show you know how to work with people)

Consider volunteering at places that a) put you outside of your comfort zone or B) demonstrate a commitment to serving Aboriginal Canadians.

• 2 weeks later...
Consider volunteering at places that a) put you outside of your comfort zone or B) demonstrate a commitment to serving Aboriginal Canadians.

why aboriginals? what makes them different from anybody else in need? I am not questioning you, i am interested in your advice....

Compared to any other group, Aboriginals bear the greatest burden of poor health outcomes largely because of the long-standing systemic oppression that they continue to experience.

Read Public Health and Preventive Medicine in Canada by Shah; there is a thorough examination of determinants of health and it is disheartening to see how Aboriginals are consistently at risk.

Because that is an area of interest for medicine. There's a lot of need that has not been served. It's like why they ask if you have any rural experience because the demand for rural doctors is high.

There's a special section for aboriginal experience on the application. In other words, points for those experience.

Hey,

For the section on rural training, what do you think is their motive for asking if you are financially independent? I ask because I am independent in that my parents did not pay for my undergrad but is that going to affect financial aid opportunities if I happen to get accepted? I'm just wondering why they would ask this question.

Guest 02'topaz
Hey,

For the section on rural training, what do you think is their motive for asking if you are financially independent? I ask because I am independent in that my parents did not pay for my undergrad but is that going to affect financial aid opportunities if I happen to get accepted? I'm just wondering why they would ask this question.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your financial aid opportunities :). Not to worry. The adcom just wants to know as much as possible about the applicants.

All things identical, I think the UBC grades are worth more than any other university grades due to scaling factors that UBC doesn't disclose. It's not hard to volunteer in hospitals, but there are very few hospital positions that will even come close to giving you much actual experience into the health care system.

Archived