Premed 101 Forums

question about the gpa cutoff

do you guys know if the 3.7 in two years of undergrad has been consistent in the past few years? I'm finishing up my degree next year and was so sure i would make my first 3.7 year but unfortunately fell short.

So even if i get a 4.0 next year, i wont' have a chance at western (i really wanna go though!)

would i need to do a second undergrad degree? or move on to grad school? (but from what i understand, western only looks at undergrad gpa...)

thanks!

hey, dont quote me on this, but i think 3.7 is actually the lowest it has been in a while, i remember looking at cutoffs a few years ago and seem to remember 3.75 or somewhere around there...

As far as western go, they allow you to take a special year, after your 4th year, in which you have to take a full course load, with no courses below 200s (i think, or maybe at least 3.0 credits at 200 or above??). I guess you will be pretty limited as far as which classes you can take, depending on which program you are in etc.

Dont really know if other schools count or look at this extra year of undergrad classes.

A few years ago it was actually 3.5, 3 years ago I belive

Really? I applied 2 years ago so I think I would've been looking at the class of 09 data and I don't remember this... but that was a long time ago, so you could be right.

A few years ago it was actually 3.5, 3 years ago I belive

It was 3.70 three years ago. Quoting from my interview invitation:

The minimum GPA for this admissions cycle is 3.70 (this is based on a minimum course registration of five full or equivalent courses - 30 credit hours, September to April only), and the minimum MCAT scores of: Physical Sciences 9; Biological Sciences 10; Verbal Reasoning 10; Writing Sample P. *If you have not met these requirements, please contact us immediately.

Your interview is scheduled for:

Date: April 17, 2005

Time: 2 p.m.

A few years before that it was 3.65-ish. I'm sure with a little googling somebody could dig up the past trends.

Archived