Premed 101 Forums

Are my chances good?

Hi,

So I'm taking Kaplan right now to write the MCAT in August. Right now I'm a little discouraged because I'm getting pretty low marks on my practice quizzes, and pretty much find this stuff extremely hard to do so fast.

Anyway, I just finished my fourth year at Western.

1st year ave = 72%

2nd year ave = 82%

3rd year ave = 82%

4th year ave = 80%

I've done volunteering over the past 4 years (student anatomy TA, exec, etc), been on a varsity sport for that time as well, and went to the world championships for that sport (and won a medal) in 2006, and am also a yoga teacher.

So, I'm wondering, if I go and apply with an MCAT mark somewhere in the mid-twenties....am I a little competitive??? Also, I'm trying to decide whether to do a 5th year at Western to boost my marks. I need to take another half year of orgo and another half year of biochem (IMPORTANT question: you need a full year right?). Any advice????

It sounds to me like you have a decent shot, depending on your EC's and everything. 80% is about 3.7-3.8ish so you're ok there (but if you know you can get higher with another year why not I ask). An MCAT score in the mid-twenties is very unlikely to be enough to get in; I would aim for low thirties perhaps. It may also be a good idea to dump the Kaplan tests (I hear they aren't that similar to the MCAT) and pick up some AAMC tests. Work hard and take your best shot!

For academics, compare yours to the interim stats:

http://www.med.ubc.ca/__shared/assets/Interim_Statistics_of_2007-2008_Applicants4341.pdf

Take the "invited for interview" scores and add about 1 point to each, and you'll have a good estimate of the average of people who eventually get in.

Academics and non-academics have equal weight to get an interview, so if you are very strong in one area you can make up for the weak area.

As for the MCAT, I agree that the best practice tests are the AAMC samples. There are (last time I checked) about 10 available for sale on their website. My suggestion is to get a big MCAT book to review, then spread out your AAMC tests over your review period. Look for what is common among your errors and see if that topic needs further review.

The Kaplan tests are much harder than the real thing for the sciences section (in my opinion), but much easier than the real thing compared to the verbal section. When I wrote my MCAT, my passages were at least 50% longer than the Kaplan practice tests and I was really scrambling to finish.

Oh, try getting some exposure to patients in an acute care or community setting.

Good luck! :)

Are you an IP or OOP applicant?

To get an interview at UBC, you are given a score out of 25 on academics (AQ) and another score out of 25 (NAQ) for non-academics, which is very subjective. With what you have said about your EC's, you can possibly get a high non-academic score (but can't say for sure yet).

You can figure out your AQ using the formula below:

(O%)*.60+(L60%)*.40 = C

AQ = 1.0422*©–63.8

Your overall is 79 and last 60 is 81, so your AQ score will be around 19/25.

As on OOP you need to get a combined score of 42/50 for interview and as an IP you will need to get a score of 36/50 to get an interview.

For an interview, MCAT is not a factor. It only comes into play after the interviews and I am not too sure how it is factored in (I have heard it can serve as a tie breaker or as a chance to make up for your low pre-req percentage). With a score of less than 7 in any section, your MCAT is flagged. Don't get discouraged with a low score...the more you practice the better you get at the MCAT. Write it and just apply.

• 1 month later...

so are you saying that if my gpa is low that my MCAT won't compensate it in the AQ to get an interview? I thought the MCAT was part of the AQ calculation. So even if it possible for me to max out the NAQ /25, pre-interview score is still too low? :(

Archived