Premed 101 Forums

How much do dentists make on average in say Ontario?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys:

My mom's a dentist and she definately doens't make that much money as the "average" they list...

The majority of the problem is the high overhead costs, and paying staff etc..

for example a cleaning is 150$...but its around 35$/hr just the hygienist, another 10-20$/receptionist, assistants, the rent, the equipment etc...

Realistically anywhere from 50-90k$....but that's working overtime and spending probably over 60hrs a week.

Hey guys:

My mom's a dentist and she definately doens't make that much money as the "average" they list...

for example a cleaning is 150$...but its around 35$/hr just the hygienist, another 10-20$/receptionist, assistants, the rent, the equipment etc...

Realistically anywhere from 50-90k$....but that's working overtime and spending probably over 60hrs a week.

Stefanci,

Are you referring to her gross or net pay?

Also, regarding the hourly rates for office staff, that is true, however I have noticed dentists seem to have multiple patients in the office getting $150 cleanings at once, which should help with their bottom line, right?

Hey guys:

lol. you are cleverly misinformed.

Yea - there's no way dentists net 50-90k a year, that's the same as a pharmacist.

As you know, major banks offer professional student lines of credit based on the profession's income potential (I know, also based on the cost of education) and their highest LOC's ($150K) go to only three professions: Law, Dentistry, and Medicine.

Chiropractor, Pharmacist, MBA students, get only $80-90K LOCs.

It's pretty widespread knowledge that many FP's, whose average net income is 100K, complain that they wished they had gone to dentistry where they work less and earn more than many FPs. I have no idea what the average net income is for dentists, but I think it's safe to assume it's 100K, just like FPs BUT you work 40hours. Don't forget that if you're business savvy, you can make even more with things like cosmetic procedures, etc.

A pharmacist working in a hospital has a salary of around 80k right out of school, and theres opportunities for working on call/nights/bonuses. Plus, unlike a dentist or GP, they get a pension and a minimum of 4 weeks payed vacation, plus the usual health benefits. Pharmacists with their own independent can net 100k, or well above.

Although I'm not a dent student/ dentist, I think what xylem (I like ur username by the way...maybe not actually learning about that though, lol) said seems feasible...however, I could be wrong. I mean, if banks knew that a dentist nets $50-90/100 k, it would be risky to even think of handing them over a $150 K LOC, because the chances of them paying it back in a timely manner or paying them back at all wouldn't be the most secure thing. No?

Hey guys:

Just curious. Where is your mom's practice.. Big city vs. little town?

________

PERSIAN COOKING

wow..those are the lowest numbers i have ever heard...

I know 4 dentists: the lowest paid one makes 200k (4 years experience) and the most paid makes 800k (owns a practice with 2 associates).

50-90k? A hygenist today starts at 70k in Calgary.

I am guessing you are from the wonderful land of Alberta

But there are general dentist in Canada that makes more than a mil. Yet, there are new grads that stayed in big city that struggle to get a whole week worth of work, working in multiple practices.

Dentistry in large part is a business... Unlike medicine, which is mostly government subsidized. So it is not like 'the field of dream' - if you build it they will come.....

________

Amc rebel

I am guessing you are from the wonderful land of Alberta

But there are general dentist in Canada that makes more than a mil. Yet, there are new grads that stayed in big city that struggle to get a whole week worth of work, working in multiple practices.

Dentistry in large part is a business... Unlike medicine, which is mostly government subsidized. So it is not like 'the field of dream' - if you build it they will come.....

Hm, I have been living in Vancouver for over 10 years now (about half of my life), and plan on staying after I graduate. Will it be hard to find a decent place to work? Do I have to do to some smaller cities???

Another thing, my dentist told me there is a high demand for people like me (Korean) who speak more than just english. Is this true, or was he just trying to make me feel better about this whole "Big City No Job" thingy?

Well it all depends where you want to practice. If you are going to practicing in or around Vancouver than it is going to be highly beneficial to know an Asian language since there is a lot more Asian population there. If you are going to practice in Quebec for instance, you should probably know French. It all depends on the location you plan on working in and which neighbourhoods you are near.

Oh and if a dentist doesn't know any other languages other than English, then it is always beneficial to hire employees that do :)

Well it all depends where you want to practice. If you are going to practicing in or around Vancouver than it is going to be highly beneficial to know an Asian language since there is a lot more Asian population there. If you are going to practice in Quebec for instance, you should probably know French. It all depends on the location you plan on working in and which neighbourhoods you are near.

Oh and if a dentist doesn't know any other languages other than English, then it is always beneficial to hire employees that do :)

If you are in QC, you can't get a license unless you pass their french language test (at least within 3 years)

As well, if the area that you wanted to practice has a high number of visual minority, knowing their language certainly give you an advantage. As for Vancouver, I have no idea for sure...

My statement was just a generalization, it will be a bit differences for everyone due to their skills and attributes.

________

New mexico marijuana dispensary

A pharmacist working in a hospital has a salary of around 80k right out of school, and theres opportunities for working on call/nights/bonuses. Plus, unlike a dentist or GP, they get a pension and a minimum of 4 weeks payed vacation, plus the usual health benefits. Pharmacists with their own independent can net 100k, or well above.

I think you are misinformed - it is once again, common knowledge that hosptial pharmacists earn less than retail pharamcists, significantly less. The average gross income for retail pharamcists fresh out of school ranges from $30-$40/hr - where $40/hr works to be $83K, assuming 40hr work weeks x 52 weeks.

Unless you are referring to those who have a Pharm.D degree, I think they work as "clinical pharmacists" right?

I do know one retail pharmacist who earns $100K, but he works 60hours/week - and I don't know if this is his gross or net earnings.

I think you are misinformed - it is once again, common knowledge that hosptial pharmacists earn less than retail pharamcists, significantly less. The average gross income for retail pharamcists fresh out of school ranges from $30-$40/hr - where $40/hr works to be $83K, assuming 40hr work weeks x 52 weeks.

Unless you are referring to those who have a Pharm.D degree, I think they work as "clinical pharmacists" right?

I do know one retail pharmacist who earns $100K, but he works 60hours/week - and I don't know if this is his gross or net earnings.

... So, this isn't contributing to the original dentistry question, but Jikuty is actually pretty close to correct. I work in hospital management, and newly graduated hospital pharmacists (not Pharm Ds) do indeed start out around $75-80K depending on location, with a pension, vacation, and benefits. The big difference is they will max out at around $90-95K, unless they work a lot of overtime, whereas retail pharmacists have a greater potential for growth. But, starting wages are quite similar.

Yes my numbers are accurate.

Maybe I just happen to know only successful dentists. But 50-90K is way off. I am sure about that.

I also spoke to a consultant who advises dentists and helps them open practicses. He said once you own your own practice you are looking at 250-300k. When you graduate you are looking at starting at 100k.

Okay, I am a recent grad, still kept up with most of my classmate.. So my number for Ontario will likely be most accurate.

In Toronto, it may be a bit hard to find one associateship to fill your entire week. you might have to work 2 or even 3 practices to fill your week. Of course, you might be lucky to able to find a rare gem.

On average as a new associate, you should be making (not billing) about $2,500 / week. (on average, of course there are weeks that you have lots of cancellation, and only billing $200 / day, yet, there are times when your crown and bridge work you cemented that make your take home up to $5,000 for that week.

I do have a friend that is not making $100k because only working like 3 days / week. Most of them are making low 130k + in GTA. Outside of GTA, some of them making 200 - 300k. (not billing)

Banks are not stupid, they usually take really low risk, they won't give you a unsecure LOC at prime, if historical data doesn't support it. At the moment, I am one of the poorest one out of my class, because I am doing a specialty.

My friend already paid off majority of his 150k loan back to the bank.

But one thing is true. Starting up a new practice as a GP in major centre is a big risk, because of low population / dentists ratio. Most buy existing practice just for the patient pool (good will).

So 50 - 90k, i guess on the income tax, if you have lots of deduction, and you incorporate to pay yourself that low, and shelter most of the money in the corporate to be tax'd at 18%....

________

Hot box vaporizer

...been out of school around 10 yrs. I own a practice.

I work 4.5 days a week. >$300k - no problem.

I would think that this is about average for an Ontario DDS who owns his own practice. I have many friends who make much more!

If you are making much less either you are very unambitious or you have a serious personality problem.

As an associate you should be making $110 - 150K...even if it is your first yr out of school. My associate makes over $100 k without pushing too hard at all.

Dentistry is not an easy job physically or mentally, however, if you are putting in half an effort you will be very well compensated for your work.

As a Canadian, I would recommend dentistry over any other profession. We have one of the last truly respectable professions that is not tarnished by our provincial or federal governments.

Good Luck to all of you. Don't worry - the rewards are great as long as you treat your patients with the respect and honesty you would expect for yourself.

Archived