Premed 101 Forums

?VR strategies¿

Sutler

can someone highlight the VR strategies that ... suggest?

Kaplan:

EK:Read for the main idea, try to limit going back to the passage

Princeton:rank the passages and identify the killer one and basically avoid it unless you have a lot of extra time

Prep101:

Other:

Cheers

I personally think Princeton's strategy is garbage.... and I like how they teach everything else and am fond of the company in general but wouldn't use their verbal strategy to save my life.... (I probably would to save my life haha) The reason being easy passages have some hard questions, seemingly convoluted passages will then have easy questions to answer... It's a silly strategy.... which I believe is designed to help poor verbal students go from low to average scores

EK kinda just is what most people do on their own.... that's why I like it, however it suggests that you break your science student tendencies and try to not to understand every fact perfectly because you'll waste time. Give the passage a good first read through and even when you feel a little uncertain about something you're likely getting the right main ideas to answer the questions.....

Every prep company has some common things to watch for... like question type, Process of elimination and answer traps... some of which are helpful... (watch for extreme language) An answer that says ALL or NEVER is usually a trap.... most of the time at least, sometimes it may be correct but be careful.

Just practice like mad, analyze your mistakes and hopefully it will come to you.

can someone name the book that they used for the EK verbal?

is it Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning? or another one?

no ek has 2 books for each section

1 that is the review, and a few problems, and one that is purely problem... the 101 verbal passages is purely problems... the strategy book is verbal and mathematic techniques or something along those lines....

"The verbal book that isn't 101" lol..

haha yah, not to cheat EK out of money it's a pretty straightforward strategy outline on Audio osmosis....

Read and get a good feeling for the main idea

They believe you can learn a lot about a question stem from reading it carefully

Take 5 second breaks where you completely zone out and forget about the passage you did to give full attention to the next one....

Limit going back to the passage...

Watch out for common traps...

And of course be critical about the strategy .... EK isn't big on annotating, but I still highlight a few key words.... and despite recommendations not to go back to the passages I'm sure there will be 2 or 3 instances where you can easily confirm an answer.... just don't treat any rule as an absolute... use it for guidance.

• 3 weeks later...

Become a fast reader! :)

I took Princeton and instead of ranking EVERY passage and then going back, I would start reading one. If it seemed doable I would keep going and finish it. At the end I went back to the ones I skipped.

But honestly, fast reading! haha. And watch out for details you may think they will ask you about when you are reading the passage. Often they put specific details that will be totally useless!

I used EK's method and it worked.

Just read and try to comprehend what you are reading - read for the "main idea".

to confirm with another poster - you will need to go back to the passage now and then b/c there are questions that will require this - unless you have a good memory. these are the freebies though that require no thought.

Archived