Premed 101 Forums

McGill cGPA Evaluation

fasciculus

I'm new to this forum and in the midst of completing applications for the 2009 entry. I've done some digging through the McGill thread, but I haven't been able to clarify a question I had about GPA assessment.

In comparing the cGPA of applicants, are marks being cumulated from science prerequisites only or on the complete undergraduate record? Do they first compare prereq cGPA, then overall cGPA (or vice-versa or both separately), or just an overall cGPA?

A previous thread touches on this question, which says McGill uses the cGPA on all courses. It's dated by almost 4 years and doesn't discuss the GPA assessment in more detail (http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5256&highlight=gpa+prereq).

While I did quite well in all of the premed science reqs, senior level engineering courses kind of destroyed my overall GPA beyond belief.

Also, I'm wondering if the "cGPA" being reported by others in the Accepted/Waitlist Thread reflect the cGPA for the complete undergraduate record, or, if only for the science prerequisites.

Thanks in advance...

Hi!

How I understand the policy (after having talked to Mr. Michel Dansereau), McGill looks at the applicant as a whole. If you have a stellar undegrad GPA, is it stellar every year? Does it shoe an upward trend? Is he/she as good at science as in art classes? This is to see what kind of person this applicant is.

Prereqs are regarded separetely only if they were taken after an accomplished ungrad/grad degree, not during it. In this case prereqs' GPA must be at least as good as a cGPA or close, comparable to it.

Anyways, it is a part of the whole application package.

Hope this helps.

s.

Archived