Premed 101 Forums

Changes to the USMLE Step 1

I realized that Step 1 will include audio/video materials starting this year but the basic format of the test remains the same - 7 one hour blocks with 50 questions per block.

I also heard from a friend that the format will be changed to something similar to the GRE, i.e. the computer will start off with the easy questions and as you score on the easy questions, the subsequent questions will be of increasing difficulty. When you miss on a difficult question, the next question will be less difficult. Is that true?

• 7 months later...

I peeked at the USMLE website and didn't see anything about an adaptive testing format like the MCCQE I. For information, I'd start at SDN.. being an American site, they have pretty active USMLE forums. Most of the content is covered in UofA's preclinical curriculum except biochem (glycogen storage diseases) and pharmacology. But it does tend to test memorized details that are easily forgotten. If you studied hard in the first 2 years, do well with memorizing and taking standardized multiple choice tests, or just want to pass -> less time. If you are potentially applying to the US match, then more. I gave myself 6 weeks, which was more than adequate. The released NBME questions are most representative of the actual test and are the ones you should use to gauge your level of preparation. You can borrow review books on most subject areas from the library. I did buy a copy of First Aid, BRS Physiology, and Goljan's Rapid Review Pathology (if you can find his audios on the web - they are *excellent* to annotate with).

• 1 month later...

Archived