Premed 101 Forums

2nd undergrad degree

Hi All,

So I have decided to do another undergrad degree. I would of course ideally like to complete it in the shortest amount of time possible. I have just graduated from U of T and have been told that they will only transfer 5 of my credits to the new degree which will thus take me another 3 years to complete! I have been researching a couple of universities out there to see what their policies are but was wondering if anyone knew of a university in Ontario that would allow me to complete another degree in the shortest time possible.

Thanks to all who reply and who have helped me before. This forum is where I come to when I freak out!

Wow! Perhaps you could give more details. For one thing what was your first degree in? That will restrict your options. What are your interests as ultimately you are going to have to justify the taking of the second degree, and saying you just wanting to raise your GPA might not be taken too well. However within your framework I am sure there ALOT options.

There are many schools where if you are really focused can complete a degree in two years if you include the summer semesters. That doesn't even consider transfer credits - which you have! My university does for instance - Waterloo.

As a related example I am taking a concurrent degree in Biomedical science at Waterloo with a minor in biology, concurrent with a Joint Honours Psychology and Economics minor in management studies, scienific computing option, and possibly a minor in computer science (haven't decided yet). That is taking about 80 credits to complete. What is relevant here is that I could have graduated with the arts side of my degree in two years, and chose to continue with both as they interest me, and I wasn't quite sure how a medical school would treat that.

Guelph also has a good summer program, and I am sure there are many more. Basically any good with a serious coop program will likely offer many courses multiple times throughout the year. This introduces in many cases the needed flexibility to fasttrack!

ok...so I can only give you advice based on my experience....my first undergrad was with u of t... I majored in Neuroscience, two minors: biology and french....I did pretty poorly <2.0GPA !!!...worked for a year and decided to still pursue my ambition of becoming a dr...I was going to do another undergrad at u of t but my godfather's ex wife (who was a dean of admission at uot med back in 2001) recommended that I transfer to a school which was built after WWII...the reason being is because those schools grade more than fairly and do not emphasize on maintining their stellar reputation...if you try you will do well.....having spent some time in N.O I decided to go to lakehead...(you don't have to go that far...).right now Im maintaining a 3.9 GPA (Omsas) and am contemplating to follow the academics (Msc.) or medicine path...most schools still offer a 3 yr degree so you could be out of there in 2 yrs...and apply to queens, wester, Dal, and depending how you did your last year at u oft maybe even ottawa...(if you go north ....ur considered a resident of underserviced area with ottawa...as long as your PC is in the north for 2 yrs and you get involved in the community).....so can't tell you what to do...can only tell your what worked for me:)

________

HERBAL HEALTH

• 3 weeks later...
ok...so I can only give you advice based on my experience....my first undergrad was with u of t... I majored in Neuroscience, two minors: biology and french....I did pretty poorly <2.0GPA !!!...worked for a year and decided to still pursue my ambition of becoming a dr...I was going to do another undergrad at u of t but my godfather's ex wife (who was a dean of admission at uot med back in 2001) recommended that I transfer to a school which was built after WWII...the reason being is because those schools grade more than fairly and do not emphasize on maintining their stellar reputation...if you try you will do well.....having spent some time in N.O I decided to go to lakehead...(you don't have to go that far...).right now Im maintaining a 3.9 GPA (Omsas) and am contemplating to follow the academics (Msc.) or medicine path...most schools still offer a 3 yr degree so you could be out of there in 2 yrs...and apply to queens, wester, Dal, and depending how you did your last year at u oft maybe even ottawa...(if you go north ....ur considered a resident of underserviced area with ottawa...as long as your PC is in the north for 2 yrs and you get involved in the community).....so can't tell you what to do...can only tell your what worked for me:)

hey, what was your second degree in?

I had a load of transferable credits...becuase neursocience has a very parallel course work to psych..I had a good amount of psych course already and just had to complete some senior level courses to do a major in psych...I also came in with a bio minor so needed 4 courses to complete a major in that...I've also managed to pull off a sociology major...come graduation Ill have to specify if I want to graduate from the art or science faculty I think Im going to opt for art..just cause I already have a science degree!

________

Buy hot box

• 4 weeks later...

I know that depending on which course you want to take determines how many courses you can transfer. Ie. at Lakehead you can transfer a max. of 10 credits if you want an arts degree. How many courses you can transfer depends on which you already have. But if you can get the max transfer you may only need 5 more credits, which can be done in 1 year. Some med schools (ie NOSM) only require a 3 year degree if you are over 25 at application time. You may want to call academic advising to discuss.

• 2 weeks later...
I am in the same vote (taking a second degree) I would love to do it through Athabasca but I am wondering what med school thinks about doing a degree through distance ed. Would they frown upon this? Has anybody taken this route and gotten in?

Hey paramed6191 I have emailed schools such as UBC about this as I am also going to be doing my second degree from Athabasca, and I have received the same response. It doesn't matter where you get your degree as long as its an accredited post secondary institution which Athabasca is. I know for a fact the Alberta schools also have NO problem with Athabasca as they have many transfer agreements in place. So UBC, U of A, U of C, have no problem with this route, as far as other schools I have never personally contacted them so I cant say for sure, however I doubt any school cares, as a degree is a degree regardless of how/where you get it.

Thanks for info, I had emailed Dal and they stated that it was fine but did not elaborate so it made be a little nervous. Which degree are you looking to do, I was considering the Bachelor of Science in Human Science.

Hey thats hilarious I am going to be doing the same degree, but I will be transferring in 60 credits from my paramedic/medical lab tech (starting in January) training and doing the Bachelor of Science in Human Science Post Diploma. I really enjoy Athabasca courses so I look forward to it.

Thats great, I wanted to do the PD program as well (I am a paramedic in New Brunswick) but they will not accept the school I went to even though it is CMA accredited. So it will be a bit longer unfortunately.

Oh its nice to see another paramedic here, thats really unfair they wouldn't give you the transfer credits, I wonder what their issue is especially with a CMA accredited program. How do you like working in New Brunswick, are you guys a provincial service or a municipal one?

I am going to send an email to find out how they determine which schools past the test. New Brunswick is now provincial base, as of 10 months ago. Before that you either worked for a Health Authority or private (I did both). The change over has been rough protocols and skills have been taken away, being a province that didn't recognize ACP a lot of us PCP's that worked for the health authorities were able to do advanced skills like ETT but now there off the trucks. But hopefully in time it will improve. How about you?

I am going to send an email to find out how they determine which schools past the test. New Brunswick is now provincial base, as of 10 months ago. Before that you either worked for a Health Authority or private (I did both). The change over has been rought protocols and skills have been taken away, being a probince that didn't recognize ACP a lot of us PCP's that worked for the health authorities were able to do advanced skills like ETT but now there off the trucks. But hopefully in time it will improve. How about you?

BC is a provincial service and its quite the commitment to gain full time status in the Vancouver area as you have to work out of rural stations which are at least 2 hours away from your house. So every month you have to put yourself available to a rural station for at least 8 shifts, than they schedule you, for me it was usually the 8 shifts so I would have to drive 3.5 hours into a town of 500 and keep a pager with me for those 4 days in which you are available 24/7. The pay is horrible on pager ($2/hour), $20 hour when you get a call with a pay of at least 4 hours guaranteed. In order to get full-time work in the lower mainland it takes approximately 5 years, the only good thing is that I can say I have worked in rural towns on my applications haha.

• 2 months later...

Wow.. This is a great thread!! thanks to pishposh for starting it!!

So, I'm getting the idea that it's possible to do a second undergraduate degree in two years, correct?

If I do a second undergraduate degree, which med schools still look at my first degree?? I hope none of them do.. haha..

Also, Athabasca University's distance education sounds really interesting. Could someone please give more info??

thanks alot.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am so confused about going back to do a second degree. I can't really find any information from medical schools saying anything about second degrees (whether they take your second one) etc. I've tried searching old threads and haven't really come up with anything. Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking about doing a Master's to bring up my gpa, but maybe a second degree is more worthwhile? Thanks!

In Ontario

Western will look at grades from the new degree only but you can only apply during the final year or after the degree is complete.

Queens will take your last to years no matter what degree they come from.

Toronto and Mac are cGPA of every year from both degree mind you Toronto has their weighting system.

Ottawa is your (last year GPA * 3 + 2nd last year * 2+ 3rd last year *1) divided by 6 which can span over two degrees.

Northern, I don't really know.

You can do random courses at Athabasca (AU). One thing to be aware of: you're not a full time student at AU even if you do 10 courses in 8 months. Might be an issue with some adcoms so check first depending on where you want to go. AU is very good and, as noted, good transferability with Alberta U.s and UBC.

Wow.. This is a great thread!! thanks to pishposh for starting it!!

So, I'm getting the idea that it's possible to do a second undergraduate degree in two years, correct?

If I do a second undergraduate degree, which med schools still look at my first degree?? I hope none of them do.. haha..

Also, Athabasca University's distance education sounds really interesting. Could someone please give more info??

thanks alot.

As mentioned earlier Western will look at your most recent degree (2nd one), Queens only takes into account your last 2 full years of University, and UBC has a 10 year rule in which courses taken 10 years previously can be ignored. Not sure about the other medical schools though.

Athabasca courses are all distance education and they have pretty much every course you can think of (well not exactly but they have lots of courses) They have degree programs and even have Master and PHd programs. I have taken quite a few courses through Athabasca so if you need any more information or have questions feel free to message me.

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I am so confused about going back to do a second degree. I can't really find any information from medical schools saying anything about second degrees (whether they take your second one) etc. I've tried searching old threads and haven't really come up with anything. Anyone have any thoughts? I was thinking about doing a Master's to bring up my gpa, but maybe a second degree is more worthwhile? Thanks!

Hey Angelia as far as I have seen on these forums and have heard getting a Master's won't make a huge difference in your application as will improving your undergraduate grades so IMHO it would probably be more worthwhile getting a 2nd undergraduate degree depending on what your gpa is.

Archived