Premed 101 Forums

Some basic questions about undergraduate NSERC

p3t3r1

Hello there, got some questions I am wondering if someone could clear them up for me.

1) USRA supervisors. Do they have to have received a research grant from the NSERC before they can be your supervisor? (i.e. this means that you can't just random browse prof's profiles and see which research interest you. You must restrict yourself to the few profs that have received a research grant for that year)

2) Can I do my USRA with any department? Say I am taking physiology, can I choose a supervisor from say the physics or the chemistry department? Would it look good on my application if I did a research that is totally irreverent to whatever I was majoring in?

Thanks!

________

Enzo ferrari (car) history

Hello there, got some questions I am wondering if someone could clear them up for me.

1) USRA supervisors. Do they have to have received a research grant from the NSERC before they can be your supervisor? (i.e. this means that you can't just random browse prof's profiles and see which research interest you. You must restrict yourself to the few profs that have received a research grant for that year)

2) Can I do my USRA with any department? Say I am taking physiology, can I choose a supervisor from say the physics or the chemistry department? Would it look good on my application if I did a research that is totally irreverent to whatever I was majoring in?

Thanks!

1) You're right. Only the profs with research grants can do NSERC research with students. Usually departmental website tells you which prof has grants. This was the case for me. If not, then simply visit the advisor of department of interest to get a list of profs with grants, and go from there.

2) Yes, you can do NSERC USRA with any deptartment. But it is usually easier to do NSERC in the dept you're majoring in. It wouldn't necessarily look good to do research outside of your major.

1. I agree with the other replies-your supervisor must have an active research grant

2. NSERC grants can be applied for in any department but generally more science and engineering related projects will receive it as this is the general focus of NSERC so your chances increase with more technical/sciencey (very technical I know) projects

Just to add to the posts above:

1. The prof will almost certainly have a research grant since he/she is required to contribute at least $1125 to your salary over the summer. However, I do not believe that they are strictly required to hold funding from NSERC. I recall reading somewhere that if the prof does not hold an NSERC gant, then he/she must become "approved" by NSERC to take on a summer student. I am not too sure what this entails, but it might be worth looking into if you are interested in doing research with a prof who has not secured NSERC funding.

2. Probably depends on the size of your university. In the past couple years at my small university, several math majors secured research positions in physics, and even a couple of first years got USRAs without declaring a major at all. I think that some prior knowledge is assumed when you apply for NSERC funding, but I think that it may be possible to research in a field outside of your major. Again, this probably depends on the university.

Archived