Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2008-2009 Application

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western's section states that 2 years must meet the GPA cutoff but doesn't elaborate on the whole you just need 1 for the interview and then achieve the GPA in your current year if conditionally accepted.

Or at least not that I read?

Is this usually something that Western leaves out of the OMSAS pdf and explains on their site? The schulich site is still all the 07/08 pdf.'s and I imagine this is the case still but it's amazing how fast paranoia can get you! lol

since they eliminated those questions...it seems like med school care less and less about the actual character of the person and more of who can produce better stats

or, an essay that has been reviewed by 16 peers and profs, re-written 14 times and copied off 11 admissions websites has lost a bit of its value in determining "actual character of the person"

since they eliminated those questions...it seems like med school care less and less about the actual character of the person and more of who can produce better stats

Queens didn't even look at it until post-interview... and I'm not even sure what Western was using it for lol.... Given the importance these two schools put on the interviews once you get their I don't think removing these questions will negatively impact on the selection criteria.... Less work for us in for something that was rather time-consuming and didn't carry much weight.

I agree strongly that you need to chose for character and not just stats but think that's the interviews role.

yeah but you can't determine character from stats...and they're eliminating possibly good characters before you even get there

Queens and Western didn't use those questions in the first place to determine who got interviews so eliminating doesn't change a thing about who gets the interview.... both are more or less strictly GPA cutoffs and MCAT cutoffs.

Given financial limitations.... there is no way that everyone that deserves to be in medical school will get in..... Be thankful that in Ontario several schools have several different ways of doing it so at least most people have a shot somewhere...

It's frustrating I know, and I understand completely as someone entering their 6th year of undergraduate because I didn't keep a 4.0 when I was 19 years old and had other priorities besides studying.

Mac for instance put a 1/3 of the weight on their questions before hand and even moreso I believe post interview. Yet, they demand for GPA which is 2/3 of the pre interview ranking to come from any undergraduate course you've ever taken....

So because between the ages of 18-20 I came to university and wasn't completely into my school work.... received respective averages of 74 and 73 years one an two, followed by years 3,4 and 5 that have been form 82-88% I stand next to no shot at Mac, I don't even qualify to be reviewed at UofT.... these are two schools that put emphasis on questions and essays and yet I won't likely interview at either of them despite believing I'm an excellent applicant.

The point of my giant long winded story... no system is going to be fair for everyone lol... dropping those questions at Queens may reduce the amount of hours they spend reading similar answers and increase the time they put into developing and evaluating interviews...

yeah but you can't determine character from stats...and they're eliminating possibly good characters before you even get there

Hence the idea of interviews.

...do you think anybody would write on an essay "I don't actually like people, I'm not in this for the science, and I really don't see myself working very hard over the 4 years...by the way how much do physicians make in the US?"....probably not...putting someone on the spot is a little more telling...

Hey thanks for the info researchgirl! aww this sucks..

but then again

Western + Queens killed off their essay..

tht's good in a way that we don't have to spend time writing anything since they don't even look at it until after you make the cut off

in another way..

Everything depends sooo much on your MCAT

SCARY

• 2 weeks later...

i would also put it in twice. If not, it could be a little misleading. I personally wouldn't want it to come up in an interview or anything. If an interviewer said "Oh, you volunteered overseas for over a year" and you respond with "well actually it was a couple months one year and a couple months the next year," it may come off the wrong way.

I worked the same summer job after all of my years of undergrad, but i put it all separate just so it didn't look like i worked for 4 years straight while attending school (and while having other part time jobs during the school years, i'm not that crazy!)

i would also put it in twice. If not, it could be a little misleading. I personally wouldn't want it to come up in an interview or anything. If an interviewer said "Oh, you volunteered overseas for over a year" and you respond with "well actually it was a couple months one year and a couple months the next year," it may come off the wrong way.

I worked the same summer job after all of my years of undergrad, but i put it all separate just so it didn't look like i worked for 4 years straight while attending school (and while having other part time jobs during the school years, i'm not that crazy!)

Yeah thats what I was thinking, thanks!

Does anyone know if the Transcript request form via OMSAS is sent when you submit the application or right after when you fill it?

Hello there,

I have the same question, but haven't gotten there yet as I'm waiting on a mark from my spring/summer term (that I hope to enter). I haven't found any answer to this on the OMSAS site. Could anyone speak to this?

Thanks!

Archived