Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2008-2009 Application

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it just me or are we only allowed 48 characters in the sketch descriptions? :eek: That's including the (#) we have to put for verifier identification. Just wondering how everyone's dealing with this considering there's a lot more emphasis on the sketch this year since the personal statements are gone.

On the topic of the sketch, are we really suppose to put both the address and phone/email information for the verifiers? Has anyone gotten away with putting just the phone/email information?

what do you mean be being mentioned? if the thesis was published and you got yourself on the authorship line then put it down. But if they just kinda mentioned you with their thank yous then don't.

how did you provide data? did you conduct the research for it? then, that could count as research but you're going to figure out how to title it.

Is it just me or are we only allowed 48 characters in the sketch descriptions? :eek: That's including the (#) we have to put for verifier identification. Just wondering how everyone's dealing with this considering there's a lot more emphasis on the sketch this year since the personal statements are gone.

On the topic of the sketch, are we really suppose to put both the address and phone/email information for the verifiers? Has anyone gotten away with putting just the phone/email information?

Your going to have to improvise with shortened titles/abbrvieated words. It should be, in the end, descriptive enough for the reader to figure out what the activity is.

To save characters, dont use the () just add the number at the end.

Your going to have to improvise with shortened titles/abbrvieated words. It should be, in the end, descriptive enough for the reader to figure out what the activity is.

To save characters, dont use the () just add the number at the end.

Wooow thanks, I didn't look into OMSAS that much but I woulda never figured you'd have to put the verifer # in the title. Thank you!

i don't know what all you guys are talking about, if you go to add/change details you are allowed to write a description of the activity up to 150 chars, and there is a box specifically for putting in the verifier number.

medisforme I was just thinking the exact same thing as you.. Ottawa's sketch used to make it more difficult.. but, this year you only need to fill out the 48 point sketch and Ottawa only asks you to expand on the formal education part.

I'm with you that the verifiers are linked, and no () is required.

Is there something major I'm missing??

Chrail

medisforme I was just thinking the exact same thing as you.. Ottawa's sketch used to make it more difficult.. but, this year you only need to fill out the 48 point sketch and Ottawa only asks you to expand on the formal education part.

I'm with you that the verifiers are linked, and no () is required.

Is there something major I'm missing??

Chrail

Nope, both medisforme and you are right. Just figured out how to link verifiers and extend descriptions :o

So, I was wondering...

For the 'Responsibilities' section of whatever (EC's, Volunteer, etc...), Are you guys only writing the actual responsibilities, or also what you learned, acquired, benefitted from them?

It seems that because these are so important to so many schools, that it would be nice to say how these Sketch details make you 'more well rounded'...

?

So, I was wondering...

For the 'Responsibilities' section of whatever (EC's, Volunteer, etc...), Are you guys only writing the actual responsibilities, or also what you learned, acquired, benefitted from them?

It seems that because these are so important to so many schools, that it would be nice to say how these Sketch details make you 'more well rounded'...

?

Good luck fitting in a description of your activity and an outline of what you learned. If you can do that satisfactorily in 150 characters then you definitely deserve to get into med school. i basically focused on doing the best possible description of the activity i could with the space provided.

I worked for the same company for two consecutive summers. Should I list them separately, because there's no option for multiple date ranges for one entry.

I'm in the same predicament.. listing as separate entries..my duties were a little different each year though. Hope that helps!

I worked for the same company for two consecutive summers. Should I list them separately, because there's no option for multiple date ranges for one entry.

I did my 4 summers of work separately (same job), mainly to avoid it looking like I worked for the entire year, so I did may-august each year. Takes up extra slots which is bad if you're already trying to cut things down to 48, but I still don't think I filled all 48 up so it wasn't an issue for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehehe if a city complex of about 350 000 people is considered rural we are all going to have an easier time applying to the northern ontario school.

Maybe they are just lumping unserviced and rural together. Kitchener certainly i unserviced, but of course almost every where else is too.

Archived