Premed 101 Forums

Is a lab component required for Alberta's prerequisites?

UofA lists the following prerequisites on their website:

Full year equivalents (six transferable units of course weight) in each of:

* General Chemistry (may include Inorganic Chemistry) IB Chemistry (HL)is a half year course - need to complete another half year General Chemistry to meet our requirement..

* Organic Chemistry

* Biology ( may include Microbiology, Zoology, Genetics, Botany, Physiology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Entomology) . IB Biology (HL) is a half year course - need to complete another half year Biology course to meet our requirement.

* Physics - U of A Students: Physics 114 will NOT meet our physics requirement. IB Physics (HL) is full year and does meet our Physics requirement.

* English courses offered by the Department of English. Preference for one full year of English Literature courses, or one half year of English Literature and one half year of English Composition. (DOES NOT include Classics, History or Philosophy) IB English (HL) is full year and does meet our English requirement.

Half-year equivalents (three units of course weight) in each of:

* Statistics - AP Statistics will meet the statistics requirement provided your AP grade is a 4 or 5.

* Biochemistry (Introductory)

Is a lab component required for the science prerequisites (Gen Chem, Org Chem, Bio, Physics, BioChem)? If so, does it need to be a full year lab?

I am an out-of-province applicant and so will not be doing my prerequisites at UofA.

Any help is very much appreciated.

UofA lists the following prerequisites on their website:

Full year equivalents (six transferable units of course weight) in each of:

* General Chemistry (may include Inorganic Chemistry) IB Chemistry (HL)is a half year course - need to complete another half year General Chemistry to meet our requirement..

* Organic Chemistry

* Biology ( may include Microbiology, Zoology, Genetics, Botany, Physiology, Bacteriology, Immunology, Entomology) . IB Biology (HL) is a half year course - need to complete another half year Biology course to meet our requirement.

* Physics - U of A Students: Physics 114 will NOT meet our physics requirement. IB Physics (HL) is full year and does meet our Physics requirement.

* English courses offered by the Department of English. Preference for one full year of English Literature courses, or one half year of English Literature and one half year of English Composition. (DOES NOT include Classics, History or Philosophy) IB English (HL) is full year and does meet our English requirement.

Half-year equivalents (three units of course weight) in each of:

* Statistics - AP Statistics will meet the statistics requirement provided your AP grade is a 4 or 5.

* Biochemistry (Introductory)

Is a lab component required for the science prerequisites (Gen Chem, Org Chem, Bio, Physics, BioChem)? If so, does it need to be a full year lab?

I am an out-of-province applicant and so will not be doing me prerequisites at UofA.

I honestly don't know for all, but I doubt it. People have used bios without a lab, the intro biochem at U of A doesn't have a lab, there's a stats without a lab, etc. I can't imagine how useless Ochem would be without a lab but I imagine you don't need a lab component for any of them. That's just my assumption, though

I am an out-of-province applicant and so will not be doing my prerequisites at UofA.

I am not sure either, though I AM sure that you would be hard pressed to find equivalencies for the science pre-req's which DO NOT have a lab, biochem excluded. At the U of A anyway, there are VERY few bio, chem (both types) and physics classes that are lower level that don't have labs.

Last summer, I emailed them and asked something similar. I had done all those labs except for a physics lab, although I had completed the physics course (ie. lectures only). They told me I needed to complete the lab component, so I did the physics lab part this year.

I'm not entirely sure, but it might not have to be full-year labs because I know I only took gen chem lab for 1 semester, and that seemed to satisfy the pre-req when I applied this year.

To be safe, I would email them again in case their requirements have changed. They're really nice about these kinds of questions, so give that a try. Good luck :)

• 1 month later...

re: requiring a full year of physics as a pre-req.

i have taken three first year physics courses, 1 non-calc and 2 calc based.

i received an A in the non-calc physics. Two years later i received an A- and a B+ in the calc based physics.

will they use the highest two of these three courses since I took the non-calc based one first or since they are all first year courses (although the calc based ones are considered much more advanced courses) will they take the calc based marks since these were the two most recent physics classes that i took?

ps.

they were all lab based courses.

I think that in order to get credit for the class, you have to be enrolled in the lab because the syllabus 99% of the time states that in order to pass the class you must obtain at least a 50% in the lab component. You may not have to take it at the same time you take the class, but in the end, to get credit for it, you would have to. I personally think it is better to take it while taking the class though.

Archived