Premed 101 Forums

Regarding IMG surgical residency

Hellooo everyone

i am IMG hoping to take the surgical residency in canada BUT i have some questions and i need someone to answer it :

1- how many years are the candaian surgical residency(GS)?

2- is it true that IMG must repeat his internship in a canadain hospital ?

3- what are the best references to review before the MCCE exam is it toronto notes or no difference ?

Hellooo everyone

i am IMG hoping to take the surgical residency in canada BUT i have some questions and i need someone to answer it :

1- how many years are the candaian surgical residency(GS)?

2- is it true that IMG must repeat his internship in a canadain hospital ?

3- what are the best references to review before the MCCE exam is it toronto notes or no difference ?

1 - General surgery is a five year residency. There are spots designated for IMGs at many schools. If the information isn't up at CaRMS.ca yet, it will be soon.

2 - There is no longer a formal internship year in the Canadian system, but your PGY-1 year is roughly equivalent to an internship.

3 - Toronto Notes.

1 - General surgery is a five year residency. There are spots designated for IMGs at many schools. If the information isn't up at CaRMS.ca yet, it will be soon.

i am sorry but what do you mean by the residency program which is designated for IMGs ? do you mean different program or just the same program but spots only for IMGs??

THANK YOU

i am sorry but what do you mean by the residency program which is designated for IMGs ? do you mean different program or just the same program but spots only for IMGs??

Depends on the province. Some have a separate stream for IMGs, while in other provinces IMGs compete for the same spots as Canadian grads. See http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_provincial_e.shtml

Archived