Premed 101 Forums

Med I: $3250 for Equipment?

Wow, I can't believe those clowns are still trying to convince you guys to waste a whole bunch of money on equipment that you will never need or use. You need a stethascope and maybe a queen square hammer, everything else is a complete waste of money and ends up being a very expensive toy. They will try to convince you that you need everything from an opthalmoscope to a BP cuff. What the hell for? There is absolutely no need for that stuff. Every hospital room and clinic have that stuff. If you need practice go up to the exam rooms on the 4th floor in health sci and practice there. It almost seems to me that the College of Med. gets a kickback from the companies that sell this crap.

Anyway just my opinion, but I don't think anyone in our class ever really used anything other than thier steth and hammer during the entire 4 years. Have fun with first year it is a good year.

Wait until the reps from Welch-Allyn come to talk to you...they offer a really good group discount on scopes. Most people got the Littman Cardiology III. I think it's over 200 without the group discount. Was a good 50 off (possibly more, but don't quote me on that).

• 2 weeks later...

Ask an accountant about claiming computers on your taxes. As for textbooks, there's a certain amount per month of full-time enrolment that you can claim (can't remember what it is off the top of my head, although $65/month rings a bell, but don't quote me on that). CRA will have it on their site.

$65 per month is right. It is a federal tax credit. As far as claiming laptops from tax, I don't think you can, unless you're using your laptop for some income generating purpose. If that is the case you can claim depreciation expense.

The college of physicians and surgeons also gives you $800 for a computer for study purposes, but you may have to be a physician or resident to qualify for this? I did it for my dad a couple years ago.

Ask an accountant about claiming computers on your taxes. As for textbooks, there's a certain amount per month of full-time enrolment that you can claim (can't remember what it is off the top of my head, although $65/month rings a bell, but don't quote me on that). CRA will have it on their site.

Archived