Premed 101 Forums

MD Financial is here to answer your questions

Many questions are raised on this forum every year about funding your education, debt management for medical students, how lines of credit work, and other questions related to financial planning for medical school.

We want to make all medical students aware that once you become a member of your provincial/territorial medical association and the Canadian Medical Association (fees range from $0 - $24 per year), you will have access to free objective financial advice from MD Financial to help you plan your finances for medical school.

MD Financial is the only financial services provider in Canada that focuses exclusively on the needs of medical students, residents, physicians and their families; we truly understand your unique financial needs and challenges as medical students. We have designated financial advisors at every Canadian medical school who you can talk to you about lines of credit and financing your medical education, debt management strategies and insurance solutions. When you’re ready, we can also discuss investing for the future, buying a home, or making a decision about incorporating your medical practice once you’ve completed residency. We’re committed to understanding your needs and goals and providing you with a financial plan that will help you reach those goals.

In addition, we offer an exclusive Medical Student and Resident Line of Credit, which was designed specifically to meet the needs of medical students now and during residency. Borrow up to $200,000 by the end of residency in flexible annual increments to help you effectively manage your debt. Unlike other institutions, we also have a program extension specifically for medical fellowship studies, so if you decide to further your education beyond residency, we will be there to help support your financial needs. Click here for a full list of program features.

We also offer a student chequing account with unlimited electronic transactions and a CMA/MD MasterCard with special pricing offers specifically for medical students and residents. Our Platinum MasterCard lets you accumulate points for travel and merchandise, and offers you a full range of insurance protection on purchases and trips. As a member of the CMA, you’ll also receive a reduced price on the annual cost of the card. Our banking products are provided by National Bank of Canada’s Partnership Branch, through a special relationship with MD Management Limited. Credit products are subject to credit approval by National Bank.

Before you go anywhere else, make an appointment with your MD advisor to get your finances in order for medical school and benefit from the advice of an advisor who works exclusively with medical students and residents. For more information, including a list of our MD advisors, visit mdfinancial.cma.ca and click on Students/Residents.

Sincerely,

MD Financial

MD Financial disclosure:

http://mdm.ca/md/index.asp?language=E

• 1 year later...
Man you guys are great at keeping track of things...

I also contacted someone at your national level to try and get some answers. He told me I'd get a phone meeting in 2 weeks.

FAIL for customer service

Well for one, they have regional numbers for you to call if you took a look at their website.

Second, I called them late Friday evening of last week. Was not available to respond to the message they left me until Tuesday and was offered as much time as I wanted to answer questions right then and there. I was more interested in a lengthier meeting later on and was offered a consultation for Thursday (as in today). Not sure what numbers you were calling but they were pretty on the ball for me.

i noticed your contact information is the same all across Canada. How do I get into contact with someone in Edmonton?

Edmonton

300 - 10339, 124th Street

Edmonton AB T5N 3W1

Tel: (780) 436-1333

Toll-free: (877) 434-1333

Fax: (780) 482-7047

edmontonregion@cma.ca

Calgary

300 - 708, 11th Ave SW

Calgary AB T2R 0E4

Tel: (403) 244-8000

Toll-free: (800) 661-4669

Fax: (403) 229-1146

calgaryregion@cma.ca

Lethbridge

315 - 400, 4th Avenue S

Lethbridge AB T1J 4E1

Tel: (403) 320-2992

Toll-free: (888) 320-3431

Fax: (403) 320-5885

calgaryregion@cma.ca

http://mdm.ca/contact/alberta.asp

I called the Edmonton # and the guy (Abel is the Med guy) called me back right away and we had some phone tag. He set up an after hours appointment with for next week.

I think some of the banks are always hit or miss. I'll go in one day and they are rude and don't understand - but at another bank they are great. I wish there was just one great place to go for all the perks without the haggling!

I called on Wednesday afternoon, the Ontario rep picked up the phone after a couple rings and we discussed the LOC for about 15-20 min. She told me everything I needed to know about it and was really helpful with all my questions, I don't think I even gave her my name she just told me everything up front and offered to set up an hour long consult.

The only reason the call finished was that I had run out of questions that needed answering, she even was a minute or two late to a meeting to make sure I understood everything. I'd give an A+ for customer service, much better than my actual bank who knew absolutely nothing about med LOCs.

Archived