Premed 101 Forums

Research with prof during the summer?

Nuclease

I want to try to get a research a position with my prof, but how do I approach her? Do I email her? Do I write her a letter? Do I approach her after class? Must it be formal? Do I present her with my grades? I hear all this stuff about trying to get work in a research lab, but not about how to even go about getting it. Keeping in mind that I just finished first year (with not so great grades) and probably am pretty inexperienced -- how can I market myself to professors? I'm pretty doubtful that I'll even be able to get anything, but it's worth a try.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

E-mail for 2 reasons--the prof has time to see what you could do and it's less awkward for both of you if he/she shuts you down.

Let them know your grade in their class, a little bit about why you want to work there, and why you'd be good for them. Don't write an essay, be short, concise, and polite. Prepare for the worst because even if they do like you, they might not have anything for you to do.

Thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm only getting a mediocre mark though... in the 70-80s range... but I'm hoping to raise it to 85ish if I do absolutely stellar on the last exam... :\

Is there a time when I should be emailing them? Perhaps at the start of the summer? When is the prime time that profs start taking on students? I'm thinking that emailing them then would be an excellent opportunity to get a position ...

A couple notes from someone who has worked in a lab for 2 summers now. I was in your exact spot my first year of undergrad.

First off, it may be difficult to get a spot after your first year. You will have only basic knowledge of biology (assuming that is what you are in) that some professors may find insufficient. Thats not to say it's impossible. If you don't get a spot with this professor, ask around in other labs that do research that interests you. Ask about volunteering in the lab if necessary, it will make getting into a lab the next year easier.

Secondly, asking around at the start of the summer is too late. You should begin looking at the start of the second semester. Look around your faculty website as there is often a list of professors looking for students.

No matter what, you should only try to get in a lab if you truly want to do it. To many people do it just to get it on the med school app and end up hating it. If you do want to do it though, keep asking around. I probably emailed 5-10 labs before I got into the one I did, and I couldn't be happier.

A couple notes from someone who has worked in a lab for 2 summers now. I was in your exact spot my first year of undergrad.

First off, it may be difficult to get a spot after your first year. You will have only basic knowledge of biology (assuming that is what you are in) that some professors may find insufficient. Thats not to say it's impossible. If you don't get a spot with this professor, ask around in other labs that do research that interests you. Ask about volunteering in the lab if necessary, it will make getting into a lab the next year easier.

Secondly, asking around at the start of the summer is too late. You should begin looking at the start of the second semester. Look around your faculty website as there is often a list of professors looking for students.

No matter what, you should only try to get in a lab if you truly want to do it. To many people do it just to get it on the med school app and end up hating it. If you do want to do it though, keep asking around. I probably emailed 5-10 labs before I got into the one I did, and I couldn't be happier.

I agree with this.

Honestly, the easiest way is to use connections. Does your parent/close friend's parent have connections to a lab?

I agree with this.

Honestly, the easiest way is to use connections. Does your parent/close friend's parent have connections to a lab?

I have met an acquaintance who's a fellow volunteer. She got a position in a virology lab after first year, because her father worked at Pasteur. They have a policy where they take the children of employees first before others for positions.

I also have another friend that got a position in a lab (not sure what kind though) because her mother works at the Ministry of Health. I could probably use her as a referral to get a job there during the summer.

But other than that, that's it. How would that help me though? I'm sure if I mention a name, that might put me ahead of others who don't have any connections, but still...

Oh, cool... yea, I forgot to mention that it is a biology lab. I could probably also volunteer with a psychology prof, since I'll be majoring in psychology and I got a decent mark on the first year psych course. What kind of things do they get you to do? I mean, since I don't have experience, heck, I'll do anything just to get a foot in the door.

I agree with this.

It doesn't only have to be limited to parents or parents of friends. It can simply just be friends...I know a few people that got in that way. Possibly even TAs who you have become friends with. It's worth a shot. Lol.

It doesn't only have to be limited to parents or parents of friends. It can simply just be friends...I know a few people that got in that way. Possibly even TAs who you have become friends with. It's worth a shot. Lol.

Exactly. Might as well do everything you can.

I usually looked up professor's research and searched for research I was interested in around December and then emailed them to set up an appointment. One good way is to apply for the NSERC USRA which you can find out more about through their website and through the undergraduate office for the department you are interested in to determine the school or department specific deadlines. Also trying in first year is not a bad idea as even if they do not give you a placement you become familiar with the process and professors you've approached may remember you when you apply again. Also it is not necessary to have connections as I got NSERC placements three times (once in first year) and five research placements without any connections :D Good luck

I was *just* in this situation. Ultimately, I ended up emailing six professors, with a copy of my resume (which had no research experience on it) and a copy of my transcript. Without any connections, and having misspelt the word opportunity in a couple of the email titles, I still managed to get four responses (two no's, two yeses). What I am hoping to do is to volunteer during the year, and that will probably set me up to be in a better position to get a paying research job next summer...At least, thats the plan for now.

I was *just* in this situation. Ultimately, I ended up emailing six professors, with a copy of my resume (which had no research experience on it) and a copy of my transcript. Without any connections, and having misspelt the word opportunity in a couple of the email titles, I still managed to get four responses (two no's, two yeses).

Actually, that's exactly what I did as well. When I was pursuing a research opportunity, I simply e-mailed potential supervisors with a copy of my resume and a cover letter that outlined my interest in getting involved in their research. I probably e-mailed over 50 researchers and only received 1 positive reply.

What I am hoping to do is to volunteer during the year, and that will probably set me up to be in a better position to get a paying research job next summer...At least, thats the plan for now.

A lot of my friends did exactly what SolitaireAddikt is planning to do. It is a great way to get familiar with the professor's research during the year. Also, it allows the professor to get a chance to know you better because if you do impress him/her, you will have a chance to continue into the summer as well. You can also choose to use your volunteer experience to help secure another research position (perhaps one that you find more interesting, or one that you may not have been able to get if not for any research experience).

Another resource that I suggest is your university's Job Postings website. I know that at McMaster (which I am currently attending), there is a website that posts job opportunities, ranging from research positions to community service volunteering placements.

Good luck!

Exactly. Might as well do everything you can.

I usually looked up professor's research and searched for research I was interested in around December and then emailed them to set up an appointment. One good way is to apply for the NSERC USRA which you can find out more about through their website and through the undergraduate office for the department you are interested in to determine the school or department specific deadlines. Also trying in first year is not a bad idea as even if they do not give you a placement you become familiar with the process and professors you've approached may remember you when you apply again. Also it is not necessary to have connections as I got NSERC placements three times (once in first year) and five research placements without any connections :D Good luck

Wow... what's the catch? 4,500 is quite a lot of money. O_o

I was *just* in this situation. Ultimately, I ended up emailing six professors, with a copy of my resume (which had no research experience on it) and a copy of my transcript. Without any connections, and having misspelt the word opportunity in a couple of the email titles, I still managed to get four responses (two no's, two yeses). What I am hoping to do is to volunteer during the year, and that will probably set me up to be in a better position to get a paying research job next summer...At least, thats the plan for now.

Cool, that's what I'll try for :D.

Actually, that's exactly what I did as well. When I was pursuing a research opportunity, I simply e-mailed potential supervisors with a copy of my resume and a cover letter that outlined my interest in getting involved in their research. I probably e-mailed over 50 researchers and only received 1 positive reply.

A lot of my friends did exactly what SolitaireAddikt is planning to do. It is a great way to get familiar with the professor's research during the year. Also, it allows the professor to get a chance to know you better because if you do impress him/her, you will have a chance to continue into the summer as well. You can also choose to use your volunteer experience to help secure another research position (perhaps one that you find more interesting, or one that you may not have been able to get if not for any research experience).

Another resource that I suggest is your university's Job Postings website. I know that at McMaster (which I am currently attending), there is a website that posts job opportunities, ranging from research positions to community service volunteering placements.

Good luck!

Cool -- however, how many hours will they ask you to do? What kind of commitment is it? If I'm going to try volunteering for the year, I might have to be emailing right now?

Cool -- however, how many hours will they ask you to do? What kind of commitment is it? If I'm going to try volunteering for the year, I might have to be emailing right now?

I just finished first year as well, and I must've emailed like, 30 profs and got about 5 positive responses asking for more information, so don't be scared!

I've asked my lab about volunteering during the year and they usually ask for about 10 hours/week, which is a fairly large commitment eh? So, I'm either going to try looking for another lab or not do it at all...there's better things I could do with 10 hours of my life every week =P

Yea I would start emailing right now for volunteering in September.

I just finished first year as well, and I must've emailed like, 30 profs and got about 5 positive responses asking for more information, so don't be scared!

I've asked my lab about volunteering during the year and they usually ask for about 10 hours/week, which is a fairly large commitment eh? So, I'm either going to try looking for another lab or not do it at all...there's better things I could do with 10 hours of my life every week =P

Yea I would start emailing right now for volunteering in September.

Thanks! I've been living on this forum the past few days, that's why I've been able to answer so fast... @__@. 10 hours... I'm pretty sure I procrastinate at least that much a week. I'll start emailing profs asap... I just need to research what kind of studies they're doing and approach it from that angle so I don't look like a complete idiot...

Oh, and what was your email like? Did you actually attach a resume?

I personally wouldn't volunteer in a lab. Unless you're *extremely* lucky, they will just make you wash glassware, autoclave stuff, and fill pipet boxes. They are not going to let you do anything science-related. If they were willing to have you do experiments, they would have agreed to take you on in the first place... If, one day, a grad student is feeling lazy, they might let you do a simple, mindless procedure like a gel extraction or something along those lines where you follow the kit's instructions.

Ultimately, you, of course must judge if you volunteering will indeed be a stepping stone for something greater (aka research) or simply, a dead end.

I don't think that in most cases it's worth the effort; probably better to spend the time finding a lab that will agree to teach you some protocols and have you do research.

I'm in the lab right now and this post has inspired me to leave a to-do list for the volunteer on Monday...

P.S. The volunteer has been here for a year and he still washes glassware and only does menial work. So think about it...

Archived