Premed 101 Forums

Advice re: references

Hey Guys,

I consider myself a bit of a non-trad applicant. I've been out of school for 3 years and really only got seriously interested in pursuing medicine post graduation. I didn't particularly have a fantastic relationship with any profs at university.. never anything bad, just didn't have a very close connection with any of them... compounded by the fact that any connection was over 3 years ago. How detrimental is it to not have an academic reference? I've been working in a hospital setting and doing research for an anesthesiologist for the last 3 years so he can speak to my academic abilities a bit..I really just feel like my strongest references are not from university years... thoughts?

My "academic" reference was a research supervisor and it seemed to be more than ok.

You have to look at what they are actually looking for, clearly unless you spend hour's after class in you prof's office they will not get to know you nearly as well as someone like a research supervisor.

Your reference is even more helpful as they are in the medical profession and thus can frame your medical competencies even more accurately...

good luck:)

Archived