Premed 101 Forums

course load question

hey,

i was just wondering about the course load requirements for U of O. they weigh the last three years of your application for the wgpa. in my last three years, i took 10, 9, and 9. in the final year when i took 9, i also took a spring course, so that brings it to ten. but i was just wondering if the year i took nine only, with no spring or summer class would still be counted towards my wgpa?

thanks.

sweet. thank you.

no, i took at minimum 4 courses, and then took 5 the following.

i was just wondering, U of O doesn't require the MCAT, but if you write the MCAT and submit your marks, how does that effect the way your academic record is scrutinized?

I looked into med at Ottawa a couple yrs ago and I was under the impression that you could take 4 courses per term to be considered 'full time' but you still needed to complete your 5th course(s) in the spring or summer of that year in order to be taken into consideration for the WGPA. I believe that you must take the equivalent of 5 full year courses or 10 half year courses in order to have that year included in the WGPA. I'm pretty sure this was the information that I was given from the admissions office as well. Can someone verify this?

I think you're right Tones..

This is from the OMSAS booklet:

A full-time academic year in which the student takes the

equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is accepted and counted

in the Weighted Grade Point Average (WGPA) calculation only

if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional

course within another academic year or as a summer course.

Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted

for the credit value in this instance; however, the mark

obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA.

But from what I understand, you can still make up for the missing course in the following year...

I think you're right Tones..

This is from the OMSAS booklet:

A full-time academic year in which the student takes the

equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is accepted and counted

in the Weighted Grade Point Average (WGPA) calculation only

if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional

course within another academic year or as a summer course.

Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted

for the credit value in this instance; however, the mark

obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA.

But from what I understand, you can still make up for the missing course in the following year...

okay. but i didn't take 8 courses, i took 9. do i still need to make up one course for that year to count?

okay. but i didn't take 8 courses, i took 9. do i still need to make up one course for that year to count?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you would have to take one additional course to have that year count. I would contact the admissions office though if I were you and ask them personally.

Directly from Ottawa's website...

A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) full-year courses is taken is accepted and counted in the WGPA calculation only if the missing course/credit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted for the credit value in this instance however the mark obtained is not counted in the calculation of the WGPA

Hence, if, you

Archived