Premed 101 Forums

Do you have anything else to add?

kiwi

Hi, since it appears that people are starting to discuss interview questions...I was curious how some of you approach your answer when asked "do you have anything else to tell us about yourself?" at the end of the interview. I was asked this during an interview during the last application cycle and didn't really know how to go about it. I guess I could have talked about other interests I didn't get to bring up during the interview, but that seems kind of random

Hi, since it appears that people are starting to discuss interview questions...I was curious how some of you approach your answer when asked "do you have anything else to tell us about yourself?" at the end of the interview. I was asked this during an interview during the last application cycle and didn't really know how to go about it. I guess I could have talked about other interests I didn't get to bring up during the interview, but that seems kind of random

Again, back to my golden interview rule. Ask yourself what this question REALLY means. Or in other words, why would you ask such a question if you were an interviewer?

I interrupt it as:

Tell me again why I should admit you into X medical school.

So basically a quick recap of why your well rounded and in what aspects etc. I would look at this question also as a chance to cover the things which you wanted to talk about but haven't had a chance so far. If your asked this question I think you are very lucky because it is a free card to take the lead and talk about what you WANT to talk about. Lastly, it might be a good idea use this opportunity to fill in the panel as to what you have been up to since you submitted your application. So any new publications or ECs etc. could be introduced at this point.

That's my two cents.

The way rogerroger put it is pretty accurate. When I was asked this question, I talked about why I would fit in their school because they didn't ask me that question during the interview and I felt that I needed to tell them. If you practice going through the most common questions prior to your interview, and find out you are not asked one of those questions (directly or indirectly) then it might be a good idea to add that at the end.

As well, you can maybe make a list of important characteristics or traits about yourself and what examples in your life portray them. That way, if you find you haven't covered one or two of them during the interview, then take the opportunity to do so when asked to add anything about yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As well, you can maybe make a list of important characteristics or traits about yourself and what examples in your life portray them. That way, if you find you haven't covered one or two of them during the interview, then take the opportunity to do so when asked to add anything about yourself.

I did something similar - make a list of ~10 things - they could be jobs, qualities, academics, leadership experiences, personal experiences with the healthcare system, why you want to go to that school, etc... that you want to convey in your interview, and make it your goal to go through all 10 with as little overlap as possible from answer to answer. And if by the end there is something that is missing, I wouldn't hesitate to bring another experience up and link it to why it would make you a good physician/med student at the medical school where you're interviewing.

Archived