Premed 101 Forums

Does anybody have information on the admission process/requirements for this program?

What I know so far is:

1. There are 3-5 spots available (I suppose this slightly varies from year to year)

2. You must be admitted to both these programs separately (not sure how this reflects the interviewing process)

3. Interviews are held at an earlier date (read this off one of the threads, not too sure if this is valid)

My primary questions are:

1. Any ball park figures of total applicants?

2. Is there a waitlist? (I assume no)

3. If rejected, do you still have an interview for the MD program? If so then how will this interview be different?

4. The interview itself, is there integration of questioning that apply to both programs, or are the two looked at separately?

5. How are your grades/MCAT weighed in? (is it 50%int, 25, 25 like regular MD application?)

I hope to get some feedback from previous applicants.

I am not sure if the process has changed much, but when I applied 5 years ago, you apply for both programs (ie through OMSAS and a separate MD/PhD application).

There were 2 interviews (one for MD and one for MD/PhD) and it was earlier than the typical MD interviews (February for both). The MD interviewers know you are applying to the joint program but it is assessing your suitability for the MD program. The MD/PhD interviewer assessed your ability to become a clinician scientist. You also hopefully hear back earlier than when MD acceptances go out. I am not sure if there is a waitlist, per se, but I think there are rolling admissions (this was definitely true at Toronto). If you are rejected, you are still considered for the MD-only pool (no new interview, they use the one you already did, and you hear back in May like everyone else). Don't quote me on it, but I doubt they get more than 20 applicants each year and likely interview 10 people.

I don't know how your GPA/MCAT/etc are factored in. You still need to make the cut-offs but your potential for being a clinician scientist is the most important.

Hope this helps.. maybe some can clarify if the process has changed over the past few years.

if you get accepted in the PhD interview...but not at the MD interview...what happens?

You need to be accepted by the MD portion to be accepted by the MD/PhD program. They come part and parcel, so you wouldn't get any acceptance. Unless you applied to the actual PhD graduate program, where you would still be free to pursue graduate studies.

Archived