Premed 101 Forums

Wayne state, interview invites...

zetandu

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch, that's a bit harsh... lol

You are right. I was too harsh and it was a bit uncalled for on my part. I sincerely apologize. I think why it came out that way is because it seems to be a blatant disregard of the advice given by us here, followed by asking those very same why he/she hasn't heard back, but I didn't consider a lot of things.

In any case, I am not sure. I gotta be honest and say that its an uphill battle, but weirder things have happened. It's best to wait and see what happens.

nope, i submitted primaries in august and got secondaries in october...everything was sent in by mid october...thats why i'm kinda baffled about why i havent got a interview or even a rejection yet...as far as i can tell, october was still fairly early, i may be wrong about this.

but yea, i'll just wait i suppose...thanks for your advice guys

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm not too familiar with the US process, especially Wayne State so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my queries. I interviewed at Wayne State on Feb 16, & was told that my application is on hold for future consideration. I know its late in the game at this point with rolling admissions & I believe they have 2 more rounds of offers remaining (march & april). What do you guys think the odds are at this point of getting an offer as a cdn applicant?

Hello all,

I'm not too familiar with the US process, especially Wayne State so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my queries. I interviewed at Wayne State on Feb 16, & was told that my application is on hold for future consideration. I know its late in the game at this point with rolling admissions & I believe they have 2 more rounds of offers remaining (march & april). What do you guys think the odds are at this point of getting an offer as a cdn applicant?

it is not rolling admissions at wayne. They have a specific number of offers that they send out per month. I would say its not bad, i figure a lot of people move on the WL.

I was complete for Wayne by December. Even though I was late I was still offered an interview, and i think the poster before me might get one too if their numbers are good.

Wayne State is significantly more expensive than other schools I have interviewed at or been accepted. Basically, when I was accepted there, I felt like my acceptance didn't count because it was so expensive (and therefore unrealistic).

It also concerns me that it seems like they have accept everyone they interview just to get a full class (and they interview everyone!). I realize these are exaggerations, but I just get a bad vibe overall from this school and it doesn't sit well with me.

Right now, I'm still waiting to hear from other US and Canadian schools, but I have an acceptance at SUNY Upstate. I had a much more positive experience at Upstate so as of now I think I'm going there, but it seems to me that Wayne State is a more highly ranked institution. Can anyone comment on this? Some may think its silly of me to care about that, but it is important to me to go to a school that opens up opportunities for me.

I'd like to get other people's opinions on this. What did you think of Wayne State?

If you are deciding between WSU and Upstate, you shouldn't be worried about "rank", since neither is a top tier school and in terms of reputation I dont think it makes any difference.

Go where you feel comfortable, since you will be there for 4 years. Also, I agree with you about the bad vibe at Wayne. It has one of the biggest classes in the country so that is one reason they interview so many people.. but don't kid yourself, even some schools with great reputations have to go through a pretty long wait list to fill their class...

Wayne State is significantly more expensive than other schools I have interviewed at or been accepted. Basically, when I was accepted there, I felt like my acceptance didn't count because it was so expensive (and therefore unrealistic).

It also concerns me that it seems like they have accept everyone they interview just to get a full class (and they interview everyone!). I realize these are exaggerations, but I just get a bad vibe overall from this school and it doesn't sit well with me.

Right now, I'm still waiting to hear from other US and Canadian schools, but I have an acceptance at SUNY Upstate. I had a much more positive experience at Upstate so as of now I think I'm going there, but it seems to me that Wayne State is a more highly ranked institution. Can anyone comment on this? Some may think its silly of me to care about that, but it is important to me to go to a school that opens up opportunities for me.

I'd like to get other people's opinions on this. What did you think of Wayne State?

Z-score, that's all I have to say about Wayne, lol.

Z-score, that's all I have to say about Wayne, lol.

while it may be a bit of a shock to you, wayne's clinical experience is pretty famous. I really liked the school and I think its image is grossly underrepresented here on the forums. With that said, SUNY upstate > wayne on the sole basis of price. 80k estimation x 1.21 is a price tag that's just scary.

while it may be a bit of a shock to you, wayne's clinical experience is pretty famous. I really liked the school and I think its image is grossly underrepresented here on the forums. With that said, SUNY upstate > wayne on the sole basis of price. 80k estimation x 1.21 is a price tag that's just scary.

No man, for the education and clinical teaching, I'd choose Wayne - it's not a shock to me at all. Even more so, the fact that the majority of the residents at the teaching hospital at SUNY are IMGs and that it was recently featured in a pretty bad article about medical errors, SUNY isn't looking too good.

I meant their grading scheme is percentages while most other med schools are P/F or H/P/F.

For the cost, SUNY is great, and the cost of living in Syracuse is great too. Not to mention less crime. For education alone, I'd pick Wayne - but that Z-Score grading scheme is a b*tch!

No man, for the education and clinical teaching, I'd choose Wayne - it's not a shock to me at all. Even more so, the fact that the majority of the residents at the teaching hospital at SUNY are IMGs and that it was recently featured in a pretty bad article about medical errors, SUNY isn't looking too good.

I meant their grading scheme is percentages while most other med schools are P/F or H/P/F.

For the cost, SUNY is great, and the cost of living in Syracuse is great too. Not to mention less crime. For education alone, I'd pick Wayne - but that Z-Score grading scheme is a b*tch!

Lol sorry xylem29, I was replying to what others posted, I have no idea why i quoted you - it wasn't directed to you at all. I think it was closer to hit than the reply button where my mouse cursor was at the time lol.

Btw, I just realized that wayne is going to cost approximately 100k a year. How on earth do people afford that? rich parents?

It's going to be around $400k (Canadian) for four years. To put that number into more perspective I guess, the next most expensive option for Canadians is probably GW and that's going to be around $345k (Canadian). That's a significant difference IMO.

I've been working for the past 3 years. I'll have enough to cover the costs for one full year. My parents are going to cover the costs for 1 1/2 - 2 years. I'll also try to get $8.5k from OSAP every year. And I'll cover the last 1 1/2 years with an LOC from a bank. I roughly estimate a loan of around $100-150k (Canadian) upon completion. Now I'm wondering if that's a loan I can pay off with minimal hardship? It seems like it's a manageable amount.

What's this z-score business with Wayne? Is that referring to bell curves? If yes, don't we all have those in undergrad?

Yeah, but they have more to it than just that.

I asked the tour guide on my interview, and she said that they use the z-score to establish rankings in the class, and they literally tell you which rank you have in the class, and how your performance is compared to the rest of the class. I asked them why they did that and they said, "Who cares about rankings anyway? Med school is not about competition, it's about collaboration."

Guest viscous

$400k for becoming a MD is a bit too much. if I were to attend wayne, it will always haunt me that my competitors became MDs with WAY less expenses. Again, I should blame myself for not being able to become the fittest among the competitors academically. :o

Archived