Premed 101 Forums

Wayne state, interview invites...

zetandu

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's this z-score business with Wayne? Is that referring to bell curves? If yes, don't we all have those in undergrad?

It gives you a sense of where you are in relation to the rest of the class. It kind of sucks. Your transcript will show P/F (I've heard from a reputable source that they are getting rid of H/P/F), and which quintile you fall into. Unless you're in the bottom or top, it doesn't really mean much. Plus your preclin marks mean almost nothing compared to your Step 1 score.

Guest Day_one

Wayne isn't expensive for us Canadians who live right across from Detroit I think :D:D:D. In fact I think we might even be treated at local applicants...

...now I just need an interview.

Wayne isn't expensive for us Canadians who live right across from Detroit I think :D:D:D. In fact I think we might even be treated at local applicants...

Sorry to burst your bubble....I guess you do save money by living at home.

$400k for becoming a MD is a bit too much. if I were to attend wayne, it will always haunt me that my competitors became MDs with WAY less expenses. Again, I should blame myself for not being able to become the fittest among the competitors academically. :o

a41 you should jump in here. I actually talked to one student who said it was a gross exaggeration (the 80k). It is still expensive, but not 400k expensive. A41 said something along those lines too when I PMed him some time ago.

well...if you live in windsor...you just need a car to drive over everyday...wayne state med school is like...around 20 min from the bridge or tunnel...

i guess you save on living costs if you have a house in windsor ...still the tuition is expensive....

Wayne isn't expensive for us Canadians who live right across from Detroit I think. In fact I think we might even be treated at local applicants...

LOL @ THIS. I thought he/she meant that living expenses are cut down. lol no, no it IS expensive for you so join the club :). :(x6 of those for your 3 naive,toothy smiles.

Wayne does consider Windsor residents as local students for undergrad, but you're SOL for med school.

re: 80k. Tuition is almost $60k/year. That leaves $20k/year for living expenses (there aren't a whole lot of texts/required purchases, plus the library has everything in more than enough quantity). $20k/year USD is pretty ridiculous. Living expenses really comes down to how you want to live. Rent around the med school starts from about $350/month right by the med school if you share a 2br. I live in a 2br and pay $650/month (it takes me about 6 minutes to walk from my apartment door and sit in the lecture hall). Even with that I'm living well under the $20k/yr estimate. Groceries are very cheap in the US. ($2 for a gallon of milk!)

Just avoid the sweet condos/apartments they put around the school to attract doctor money.

Wayne does consider Windsor residents as local students for undergrad, but you're SOL for med school.

re: 80k. Tuition is almost $60k/year. That leaves $20k/year for living expenses (there aren't a whole lot of texts/required purchases, plus the library has everything in more than enough quantity). $20k/year USD is pretty ridiculous. Living expenses really comes down to how you want to live. Rent around the med school starts from about $350/month right by the med school if you share a 2br. I live in a 2br and pay $650/month (it takes me about 6 minutes to walk from my apartment door and sit in the lecture hall). Even with that I'm living well under the $20k/yr estimate. Groceries are very cheap in the US. ($2 for a gallon of milk!)

Just avoid the sweet condos/apartments they put around the school to attract doctor money.

OK so realistically 70K instead of 80k....so you will owe 280k instead of 320k at the end of the 4 years, which isn't that much different. How did you get financing, if you don't mind me asking?

OK so realistically 70K instead of 80k....so you will owe 280k instead of 320k at the end of the 4 years, which isn't that much different. How did you get financing, if you don't mind me asking?

actually, the difference is more like 320-280 X exchange rate = the number of canadian dollars difference. That's HUGE.

actually, the difference is more like 320-280 X exchange rate = the number of canadian dollars difference. That's HUGE.

I think that's one of the most worrying things. The exchange rate is so topsy turvey. A return to 10 the rate of 10 years ago would make the debt astronomical.

But I guess most people going to America for med say that they don't plan to return, so this is less of a concern.

Archived