Premed 101 Forums

Wayne state, interview invites...

zetandu

Hi, it seems that the interview thread has gotten too tedious to flip through so I'm bringing my question back to the surface. For all of you who got the invites to WSU, I submitted my application around 3 weeks ago and it was complete on the 27th of August. This evidently was after the August 25 invite deluge, so I was wondering how long it takes for them to send out another wave? Sept 25th? Any ideas?

MD APPS, PLZ COMMENT: http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?myid=11021

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Went to the interview. It was probably the most relaxed conversation I've ever had professionally. There were no ethical or stress questions, just what did you do this summer? How was it growing up? Etc. I'd have to say that Wayne State is the ultimate safety school.

• 2 weeks later...
Went to the interview. It was probably the most relaxed conversation I've ever had professionally. There were no ethical or stress questions, just what did you do this summer? How was it growing up? Etc. I'd have to say that Wayne State is the ultimate safety school.

Know somebody who got accepted to this school recently. Nearly fell out of my chair when I got the tuition for international students! Person still willing to go, though.

How is this school's reputation, academically, given that you consider it the "ultimate safety school"? I'm a little scared to visit, given the city's dangerous reputation, though.

Did you call them or anything to confirm that you were coming before your interview? The invitation letter doesn't say anything about that so I wasn't sure.

Like any medical school in North America, the standard of education is perfectly accredited and you'll come out with the same MD as compared to Harvard or Yale graduates. Wayne State is noted for their clinical opportunities - their medical complex (the DMC) is really really big (compared to some of the Canadian institutions). In terms of safety - you do have to be careful at night. You'd always need a buddy if you're walking at night. You'd also need a car to drive around to get groceries (they have no Safeway-like stores any where close to the school). Yeah... come to think of it, it should be the very last choice for all Canadians. 1) The tuition, nuff said 2) The sheer size of their class, 300 is a ridiculous and questionable number 3) Detroit, which cannot compare to the qualities we take for granted in Canadian cities like Edmonton or Calgary

I hope I don't get flamed. Just my humble opinion.

Like any medical school in North America, the standard of education is perfectly accredited and you'll come out with the same MD as compared to Harvard or Yale graduates. Wayne State is noted for their clinical opportunities - their medical complex (the DMC) is really really big (compared to some of the Canadian institutions). In terms of safety - you do have to be careful at night. You'd always need a buddy if you're walking at night. You'd also need a car to drive around to get groceries (they have no Safeway-like stores any where close to the school). Yeah... come to think of it, it should be the very last choice for all Canadians. 1) The tuition, nuff said 2) The sheer size of their class, 300 is a ridiculous and questionable number 3) Detroit, which cannot compare to the qualities we take for granted in Canadian cities like Edmonton or Calgary

I hope I don't get flamed. Just my humble opinion.

I'd say the DMC puts most Canadian hospitals to shame.

The area around the school/hospital isn't that bad...I walk around at night alone, but I guess I'm 6'1".

Detroit isn't a very rich city, but I think it makes for a great environment in which to learn medicine for a few reasons: (1) You get to see interesting trauma, etc. cases (2) Large uninsured population means a lot of opportunities to volunteer at free clinics (you get to learn and perform a lot of medical procedures that you wouldn't normally be able to do...even after only a couple months of school - though this just might be an American thing) (3) I've found that the people of Detroit in general are extremely appreciative of your help (even those that are paying for their care). The Hispanic and African American patients I've encountered in the city are a lot friendlier and thankful than the Asian ones out in the suburbs. This is just my observation. I mentioned this to one of the profs and she said she noticed a similar difference between practicing in Detroit and when she used to practice in Ann Arbor.

That last point actually makes me wonder how different it'd be like to practice medicine in a country like Canada where healthcare is considered a right.

There are things about the school I don't like, but Wayne really isn't that bad.

That last point actually makes me wonder how different it'd be like to practice medicine in a country like Canada where healthcare is considered a right.

lol..... yeah..... cause you would want to deal with all the BS of the american health system on a daily basis.

health care SHOULD be a right. Some patients may appreciate it more if they pay for it, but how would you like to tell your patient "sorry, this surgery would save your life, but you dont have insurance to pay for it"

That would be a daily reality.

Think about that before you go bashing the canadian health system.

Back to the subject of working in Detroit. I actually got my acceptance package today and the slated tuition is likely around 60k dollars a year - with an additional 20k for additional expenses... holy ****.

1) How are you paying for that? Getting that much into debt is scary.

2) How much do you make as a resident/doctor in Michigan? What sorts of options are there for practicing physicians? I mean, not to lose sight of what Medicine is about - with that sort of debt you kinda need to watch your finances very carefully

3) I guess the safety issue I heard mainly from my tour guides, who were both ladies

One thing I want to mention is that you're not required to practice in Michigan just because you graduated from a med school in Michigan.

You could apply to any residency in the US, with your competitiveness largely determined by your board score(s).

I'm really beginning to understand how big a role the cost plays in the process.

It's not just Wayne State - most US schools are just so darn costly.

If I were to get accepted and to choose to attend a US school, I have a feeling that the expected salary amount will play much a bigger role in choosing my residency than if I go to a Canadian med school.

lol..... yeah..... cause you would want to deal with all the BS of the american health system on a daily basis.

health care SHOULD be a right. Some patients may appreciate it more if they pay for it, but how would you like to tell your patient "sorry, this surgery would save your life, but you dont have insurance to pay for it"

I'm not sure why you thought I was bashing the canadian healthcare system. I believe that health care is a right, I was merely pointing out that it would be different practicing in Canada.

Think abou tthat before you go jumping to conclusions.

that's not exactly what happens, if they needed life saying surgery on the spot they can go to an ER where they can't get turned down.

• 1 month later...
i read somewhere that as canadian wayne-staters we can live in windsor and not have to pay for health insurance. is this the general understanding? so 2000 less every year?

any windsor residents on the forum to confirm so?

You know, when it costs $65,000+ per year, I tend to feel $2000 starts to feel like a drop in the bucket :eek:

Hey, I can confirm that you can in fact confirm that you can live in Windsor and commute across the border to school. The advantages include being in a safer city, saving the health insurance money, and thanks to all lectured being videotaped and placed online, after anatomy labs finish you don't really have to come to school particularly often. In response to the poster above, the point is precisely that if you are already paying a hefty investment on your education you would want to save whatever money you can, so its certainly something to seriously consider.

• 4 weeks later...

This has nothing to do with interviews. But are we eligible to apply for scholarships? I know we don't get financial aid. If I could land a decent scholarship, it would make Wayne State a lot more appealing.

I realize its in a not so desirable locale, but its close to home for me (only 2 hours drive).

This has nothing to do with interviews. But are we eligible to apply for scholarships? I know we don't get financial aid. If I could land a decent scholarship, it would make Wayne State a lot more appealing.

I realize its in a not so desirable locale, but its close to home for me (only 2 hours drive).

gah doesn't look like it.

Archived