Premed 101 Forums

Will this MCAT score be enough?

Hey guys,

I recently wrote my MCAT in July, and I got a 30S. I didn't feel too hot about it, so I rewrote in August and felt SUPER good about it. To my utter amazement and shock, I received my score back a couple of days ago and it turned out to be a 28R!!

Firstly, I am very suspicious about this score. The fact that I thought I would get above a 35 for sure, and then to receive an even LOWER score was pretty mind-boggling. I honestly thought that this was the best test (real and practice) that I had ever taken, and to get back a cruddy mark just made me frustrated. I am going to appeal this, but what is your opinion on the matter? Have there been scoring mistakes in the past?

Also, what is your opinion of a 30S? I am only applying to UofA and UofC; will this hinder my app? I have an ok GPA (3.65ish) and fantastic EC's and letters of ref.

Any help and honesty would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

To tell the truth. I don't think a 30S will hurt your application at all. I mean, that's pretty much the average MCAT for 4th year or Post-Grad matriculants. On top of that, rumor is that 20+ seats are made available for the coming cycle at both UC and UA so I think it'll be a unwise choice to not even give it a shot. Besides, I think you'll have a better chance at UC as their academic section + ECs is really 40% of the process. If you're an amazing speaker, writer and perform well under pressure, then you pretty much owned the remaining 60%. Stay optimistic!

• 2 weeks later...

There is very strong evidence that the number of seats in next year's class will increase by at least 10 more seats.

However, this also presents a problem as our class of ~157 + 30 DDS students already fills the Katz lecture theatre, which is the largest theatre available to medical students.

Furthermore, although the number of seats are increasing, you will actually find that the admissions statistics are also becoming more and more competitive. From 2006 to 2008 admissions, the cumulative GPA increased by approximately a half point, and the cumulative GPA remained the same, while the MCAT score increased by approximately 1-2 points overall. This corresponds with a 20 seat increase (IIRC) between 2006 to 2008.

Archived